Chapter 1

I shoved on my shoes and straightned my hair. I grabbed my bag filled with little presents to give to the patients. I volunteered at a hospital everyday to help with patients that had cancer, leukemia, or things like that.

I was going to visit one girl today who had Stage 2 cancer. She had been in the hospital for about a week now, and the nurses suggested that I go help her, as she was terrified of the hospital, and her parents didn't come around much now.

I started walking over to the hospital which was a block over luckily, and walked in. I was greeted by the usual, "Hey Phil." By most of the nurses. I just waved back. 347. I thought to myself. I looked around. 344, 345, 346, 347.

I knocked on the door quietly, not wanting to scare the girl. I heard a small, soft voice answer. "Come on." It barely whispered. I opened the door, and she looked at me confused. "Who are you?" I smiled, kneeling next to her bed. "I'm Phil, I volunteer for the patients here, so that they don't feel so lonely." She turned over onto her side, tangling up on of the pulse cords. As an insinct, I stood up, untangling it. "Th-Thanks." I nodded, feeling her touch my hair.

"It's soft...I like it..." I giggled. "Thanks." Some of her hair had begun falling out, so I parted the side that still had hair on it, over to the side. She didn't say anything, but was staring at the bag I had on the ground. "What's in there?" She asked pointing to it. "A surprise." She couldn't wait to see it. "Please please please!" I ruffled the remainders of her hair, and pulled out a small teddy bear. She gaped at it. "It's adorable!" I handed it to her. "I can have it?!" I nodded, and she hugged it tightly.

"I guess I've got to go now." She looked sad. "I'll come back tomorrow and play with you! I promise!" That made her smile. "Bye Phil!' I closed the door, and accidently ran into a nurse who was dragging a patient that looked weak, and was breathing heavily into a room. I followed her. She set him down on the bed and he clutched his forehead, moaning out in pain. "Is he alright?" She nodded, looking up from her computer. "Can you look after him while I go out and get some more gloves?" I sat down in a chair next to the bed, indicating a yes. She walked out.

"H-Hello." The boy stuttered out. I waved. He looked very thin, and he had a lot of red spots over his skin. Luekemia. I placed my hand on his stomach. He was very thin. These were just common side effects of the illness. Loss of appetite, Petechiae (The small red spots), Shortness of breath, and weakness. He grimaced at my touch, so I drew my hand back.

"Did you just come in?" He nodded. "I felt like I couldn't breathe at all, so I drove myself to the hospital, and she addmitted me in here, seeing the spots on my skin." I touched them. He placed his hand over mine, guiding it to a large bruise on his neck. Another possible side effect. Easy bruising and/or bleeding. "Wow..." I whispered. I didn't want to say this, but I felt obligated to. "I think you have Leukemia." He sighed. "I do. A doctor told me when I came in for a check-up about 2 months ago. I've been avoiding coming to the doctor since then. I'm terrified of hospitals." I nodded, and started rubbing his back. "It'll be okay."

The nurse came back in with a box of gloves so I moved out of her way. "What's your name, by the way?" He asked me as she prepped to look over him. "I'm Phil. You are?" He flinched as she poked one of the bruises. "Dan." He groaned as she continued poking him. "Full time Internet Homo." I smiled. "Homo?" He nodded. "Yep." I giggled. "Same." The nurse grumbled as we said that. I forgot. This was the homophobic one. I was about to say something else when I noticed Dan started to pinpoint bleed in his arm. I grabbed a napkin and set it over the bleeding. The nurse thanked me for the help. "You watch over him, okay? If anything happens, call me."

"Sooo, you work here? You look a bit young in my opinion." I shook my head. "I don't work here, I just volunteer for the little kids." He poked his lip out. "That's so adorable, Phil!" I scrunched up my nose. "There was this one girl who had came in about 2 weeks ago, her family never visited, she has cancer." Dan gasped and I continued. "Well, she was happy when I came in and I gave her a small teddy bear. She said it was adorable." He awww'd, and I saw him start bleeding again. I put the napkin over it, and groaned. "Can you see me every day? Please?" I giggled. "Of course, Sir Daniel." He blushed. "Thank you, duchess Philip." I gasped teasingly and hit him in the arm. "Well, I guess I've got to go." I said, grabbing my bag as the nurse came back in. He looked a little sad. "Wait, wait hold on." I turned around and he tore a piece of paper off a notebook and handed me a number. "Call me later, please?" I smiled. "Of course."