"So this is your alone time? Stalking us from that tiny bush like a damn pervert?" Zaiya retorted, which caused Abel to wave his hands at us to diminish the misunderstanding. "I-I swear that was not my intention!"

"Whatever." Zaiya then grabs a firewood from the stack and tosses it into the blazing fire. "What's up with Viktor anyway? He's been kind of quiet."

Abel and I look at each other, not really sure why either. The last time Viktor and I spoke was when we were cleaning in the headquarters, but he did seem to be under the weather lately. Was it also because of that time when he accidentally swung at my head and the guilt still lingers in him?

"It's hard to read what's on his mind sometimes," Abel admitted, even though they are close friends. "But lately, he's been kind of sick. This weather is really getting the best of him."

"What a loser." Zaiya has no boundaries. "If only he wore a thicker coat and ate better, he wouldn't be at his worst right now."

"No way." I noticed Zaiya's concern for Viktor which got me thinking. "Do you actually care about Viktor?"

Zaiya's face turns bright red in an instant and she sits up straight defensively. "I-It's not that I like the bastard! He only likes you, Sina!"

"Zaiya," I laugh at her shocked reaction. "I promise you that Viktor and I are just friends. I care about him just as much as I care about you guys."

My words warm their hearts and Abel takes my hand with a smile. "You are such a kind soul, Sina. Unlike somebody..." he dragged, looking back at Zaiya and she gave him the finger.

Though she is visibly upset, I can tell she has feelings for Viktor. Slowly, she relaxes her shoulders and heaves a long sigh in the cold. "Sorry for doubting you, Sina. I wish I was more like you."

"You're just jealous." Abel strikes back and I smack him on his shoulder to drop the attitude, which caused Zaiya to laugh a little.

"What are you idiots doing out here?" That familiar voice came from behind us and as we swung our heads back, it was Captain Levi. "You all look miserable." There he goes again.

Abel waves at him to come over to the campfire. "Hey, captain! We were just talking about Zaiya's first crush!"

"WILL YOU SHUT THE HELL UP?" Zaiya jumps up to stand on her feet in the snow, her face is entirely red this time. Not sure if she's angry or embarrassed. Maybe both. She then runs her fingers through her long hair in distress. "I can't believe I'm going to say this... Viktor and I are just comrades. It's not like he has feelings for me anyway!"

"Just comrades?" Well, I'll be damned. It's fucking Viktor as he shows up late to the party.

Levi shoves his hand into his pockets as Viktor approaches us by the campfire. "What brings you here?" he asks sternly, trying to appear more dominant by slightly puffing out his chest. Is he doing this because I'm here?

"Well, I heard Zaiya's big mouth so I had to come see what was going on." Viktor teases which earns him a smack in the head from Zaiya. She is quite cute when she is mad, almost like a child throwing a tantrum.

"Yeah, I said it! We're just comrades! Nothing more than that!" Zaiya exclaims, which makes Viktor smirk while looking down at her pouted face.

"Really? After all the things we've been through? I thought we were more than that."

"Have a good night, everybody. I'm leaving." Zaiya clings onto her fur coat and storms out of the woods, stomping in the snow as we watch her scurry back to the headquarters.

⚔︎

[Zaiya's POV]

I can't believe what just happened earlier by the campfire. I made such a fool out of myself that I wanted to hide in my room forever. Hide myself from the world.

As I entered my dark room, I hastily undressed until I was left with my undergarments. Finally, I plop into bed with my body facing down and take a moment to breathe in from my pillow, then out as I turn my head to stare out the window beside my bed.

For some strange reason, I want to cry not because I'm embarrassed, but because of my past.

I recall the dramatic suddenness of the undisguised robbery at nightfall. The screams sounding throughout the night in the village still wake every fiber of my being. The villagers were held in only the most tenuous way, a large party of thieves caused such an alarm that the women and children had crowded into a room, where they huddled together, holding one another and crying.

By the light of the fires, we saw savages tormenting and murdering the innocents. They gave orders that every living thing except children should be killed without mercy.

The cries of the helpless women and children were heart-rending. They robbed us of everything they could find. The shrieks were so great, that they made the ears deaf of those that followed them. Many were wounded with great wounds, and they suffered to escape. There were some so cruel and butcher-like, that they killed old and young. They hastened to the houses to rob and filled their wagons with the spoils of the goods.

Aside from my mother and brother, my father at the time was fortunate enough to help us escape the village. Ever since we settled in a small house in Trost District, his health became our concern as he grew weaker. My sister and I struggled to bring home natural remedies because, unlike Wall Rose, Trost is not a place to gather resources.

As of now, I have to carry on the responsibility of caring for my family. And it's all thanks to my father for giving my sister and me a second chance to live. I mustn't die, just not yet.