Chapter 29: The Birthday

"Hey Katniss" I hear Peeta call from downstairs. I finish putting away the clothes I had been folding and walk down the stairs to him. He's sitting on the couch, fidgeting nervously.

"Is something wrong?" I ask sitting down next to him. He turns to face me.

"No of course not. I just have to give you something" he holds out a phone to me. I stare at him confused my eyes flitting between the phone in the palm of his hand and his eyes. "It got you a phone, to call or text whenever you need. I can't stand having you being out and alone and not knowing if your safe or not."

"Peeta-"

"No! I know you will say you don't need it; but please take it. It will make me feel so much better."

I sigh in defeat and take the phone from his hand, turning it over and over. "Peeta I don't even know how to work this thing."

"Then I'll show you" he murmurs softly. I nod and lean up and press a kiss to his cheek to say thank you. Because most of the time I don't know how to react to someone taking care of me, it's been nearly twelve years since both my parents died. It takes me awhile to figure it out and get the hand of it, but eventually Peeta is able to show me how to send a text and call him, he put his number on speed dial.

"It's you birthday tomorrow" he says wrapping me in his arms as we curl up on the couch.

"I know. Please don't make a big fuss out of it, it's nothing special."

"Well i'm going to make it special" he says kissing my forehead. I close my eyes and take in the silence and the warmth of his strong arms wrapped around me.

"You know I have to work tomorrow, and so do you. It's still a Friday" I tell him.

"I know, but I talked to Haymitch and managed to convince him for you to not work until closing time. So we can celebrate, and also I think Prim was going to stay at her friends house, she wasn't very discrete though when she was organising it on the phone" he laughs.

I turn around in his lap and wrap my arms around his neck, "really?" He nods a smile lighting up both his and my faces.

***

The next morning I wake up when Peeta crawls out of the bed and starts to get ready for work. I start dozing in and out of sleep until he comes over and leans over the bed, kissing me deeply. "Happy birthday beautiful" he whispers and I smile sleepily.

"Thank you" I murmur snuggling down into the blankets. I feel Peeta brush my hair back from my face and then kiss my forehead before leaving for work.

I wake up again when my alarm goes off for work. After showering and eating pancakes which Peeta left in the fridge, I pull on my jacket and lock the front door behind me. The walk down to Haymitch's bar is uneventful. Though I can't say as much for when I get inside. Because the place is already surprisingly full, considering it's only nearly lunch time.

I rush behind the bar and start taking orders, helping the other staff serve. Once the rush is over and everyone has their orders and drinks, I sigh and lean back against the counter.

"Well that was unusual for this time of the day" Clove says. I nod and push myself off the counter.

"I better go fill in the record sheet to say I got here an hour ago" I say and she smiles widely before going to back to drying some of the glasses. After filling in the start time for my time sheet, I go out the front and help Clove clear tables and wash and dry dishes.

The hours go by slowly and I really just want to go home. Like every year it doesn't even feel like my birthday. That's mostly because nobody here at work knows about it. Haymitch would be the only one that does know, but since he's the boss he doesn't come in until later in the night. When 6:00pm finally comes around I sign off my time sheet and grab my bag, slinging it over my shoulder as I wave Clove goodbye. It takes me awhile but eventually I manage to send Peeta a text letting him know i'm on my way home. It's strange carrying a phone, it's almost like I want to wrap it in bubble wrap; I've never had something as fragile and expensive as this before. I'm afraid i'm going to break it.