Chapter 17: Prim's Willow Tree

I slowly walk up to the rock where Prims name is written in shaky handwriting. I gasp back a breath of air, trying to hold back the tears as I sink down to the ground. My heart beating fast, I reach out a shivering hand and run my finger over the rock. The smooth surface holding so many stories and memories. My fingers brush the grass next to the rock and I look up just in time to see some leaves float down to the ground from the willow tree, the breeze soft and whispering.

"Hey Primmy" I murmur and feel the tears prick my eyes. The sun disappears behind a cloud in the sky and everything turns darker, the willows swaying in the wind.

"I've missed you so much" I say and suddenly I want to tell her everything that has happened since I last visited. How kind Peeta has been to me and how I don't know what his real intentions are. And I do, I tell her everything. When I mention the cave when we nearly kissed; the sun emerges from the gloomy clouds and it's almost like Prim is laughing and smiling at how happy she is. How happy she wishes I am.

"I'm so scared" I say in a small voice "this isn't like anything thats ever happened before Prim. Even when mum and dad were alive" I sniff and wipe my eyes. Oh how I wish she was here, Prim would know what to do. "But Prim you have to meet Peeta. He's so nice and kind to me. One day if I can trust him enough, I promise I'll bring him here and introduce you guys." I sniff as I wipe away another tear fall.

"You would love him so much, you guys are both so alike. He is so hard to dislike, it's insane. People were always like that with you. You could charm your way into anyone's heart couldn't you Primmy?" I laugh at the memories or Prim winning over free sweets with her puppy dog eyes.

I lay down beside her under the willow as I cry. My tears sliding down my face, over my nose and dripping onto the grass. I curl up in a ball as the pain rips through my heart, why does my life have to be like this. I can't even trust anyone anymore. Everything is so hard, it would be so much better if I just had Prim here with me.

Slowly my eyes grow heavy with the tears and sleep and I let myself fall under. My head rests on the grass next to the rock, the loose wisps of hair that have escaped my braid fly around my head in the breeze but I don't care right now as I try to imagine a life with Prim and my parents behind my closed eyes when I drift off to sleep.

***

"Oh Katniss" I hear a voice sigh, their voice is full of relief and worry. I hear a sniff and I open my eyes a crack, my eyelids still heavy with sleep. I almost gasp when I see the sky is nearly dark; how long was I asleep for? My eyes close again, I want to stay here with Prim forever, even though it's starting to get cold, the wind slicing through my jacket.

I feel two strong arms slide underneath me, their owner probably the person who sighed my name with such despair and longing. I want to flinch away from their touch but it's so warm here in their arms. Unconciously I snuggle my head against the persons chest and bury my head in their shirt. I feel their arms tighten around me as they start to walk. I should be scared, I know that; but something about this persons hold on me is calming. Their touch brings a pleasant chill to my skin. I drift back off to sleep, dozing in and out of fantasy lands, my dreams are short and don't make much sense; just colours and voices.

I wake up again and i'm still wrapped in the persons arms but they are no longer walking, they are sitting and I am curled up in their lap as I sleep. I want to open my eyes but i'm still so tired, my eyelids refuse to move. I am thrown into another dream, this one however, I can remember actually happening.

"You stupid girl!" The mistress snaps as she slaps my face. Tears sting my eyes as my tiny hand comes up to cradle my cheek.

"Stop it!" I yell at her, my voice cracking at the end. Her eyes burn into mine and her sharp eyebrows raise.