Virtual reality

Thanks to Zeph and Pyguel for proof reading and editing this chapter!

Sounds of anxious pacing outside my room continued.

I stared at the door for a few moments before going back to lie down on my bed. If I were to be honest, I didn't want to deal with whoever was outside at the moment.

The footsteps started becoming louder and quicker, preventing me from falling back asleep

I took a quick glance at the door and contemplated whether to get out of bed.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

The quick footsteps stopped and instead, became harsh, prompt knocks on the door.

Having had enough, I finally got out of bed and got ready for school. I was in no particular rush to get to class as I still had 15 to 10 minutes left.

As the day of the special exam arrived, I headed out of my room and was immediately greeted by Kanji looking at me sheepishly.

"Hey what a coincidence! It seems that we're going to class at the same time, Ayanokouji! Wanna head there together?" Kanji asked.

He was obviously lying. He had waited outside for a while, most likely nervous about the exam and seeking comfort from me. I nodded to keep him happy and walked with him.

A tense and awkward atmosphere engulfed us while we were walking, Though that source of uneasiness came mostly from Kanji.

People might think that this atmosphere came about due to the new special exam, but this was actually due to our broken relationship. We started off as friends in the first semester but after the sports festival, we started drifting apart. We had both found new cliques where we felt like we belonged and slowly stopped interacting much with each other.. Furthermore, Our relationship was strained even further as I was a factor in Yamauchi being expelled. Eventually, we cut ties with each other and became just classmates.

This silence was uncomfortable for both of us but thankfully, Kanji started the conversation.

"Man, out of the three of us, I wouldn't have thought that you would get a girlfriend. An especially cute one to boot," Kanji chuckled.

"Yeah..." I replied.

"So when did you start dating and how did you meet?"

"It was during the class voting exam. She was the one who helped me. Then we started hanging out together. It was discreet at first because we didn't want to draw attention and eventually we started dating I guess."

Since I was a bit vague on some parts of the subject I hurriedly changed the subject so he would not poke any holes in my answer.

"What do you think about the new special exam?"

He looked at me in surprise as I was the one changing topics. Back when we were friends, I was the one usually listening, not often starting or changing the conversation.

Quickly getting past his surprise, he suddenly got excited and told me his thoughts on it.

"I think It's great! Based on what we talked about yesterday, it has something to do with a murder mystery right? I've been watching a lot of detective movies recently so I think I'll be able to figure things out! Plus, there's a lot of s-points involved, you know," He laughed.

Was his mind filled with just money and other frivolous things? Does he even know that detective movies are not even reliable?

"Anyways, Ayanokouji, how about you?"