New students

After that statement Chabashira-sensei left us with 10 minutes left of homeroom. Horikita then began discussing on who should join.

"I'll also participate in this program," She says.

"Wait Suzune maybe you shouldn't join or uh I'll join instead I'm the most athletic student in the class," Sudou immediately interjects.

"Remember, this is virtual reality, strength and being athletic does not matter. However, observation, intellect and your mental strength plays a key role in this exam. Another thing to note is that people who are unpopular will also be targeted. Sudou, remember during the the class poll you were ranked as the second to last person," She replied.

While Horikita was lecturing on Sudou, my eyes slowly drifted to Kei and I started to speak to her in a code we both developed as sending messages to her phone in class proved to be insufficient and risky.

Blink blink: do not allow.... I shifted my eyes to Horikita: Horikita to join.

She looked down at her desk, signalling that she understood.

"If that's the case, wouldn't it be better if you didn't join Horikita?" Kei said.

"Huh? Why is that?" Horikita wondered.

"Compared to others, you have a big presence due to the events from last year and... wouldn't it be better if you watched from the outside so you can see who's more suspicious," Kei explained.

Horikita then started to rebuttal. 

"Based on the test results from the previous year, it is quite clear I am one of the most highly ranked and intelligent people in our class,"

"Yes but, you will be a target," Kei argued.

They began arguing for a few minutes before Horikita gave up and just nodded off in agreement.

The bell rang, signalling the end of homeroom.

"We'll continue this tomorrow." Yousuke said.

--

Lunch rolled around and along with Yousuke the Kiyotaka group began walking to pallet cafe. The atmosphere was really tense and awkward and it was not hard to understand why. Yousuke is a popular student and compared to that, our group is a group of outsiders. So I took the initiative and tried to start the conversation but before that, somebody bumped into me.

She had a long platinum blonde hair and blue eyes. Though for a split moment she gave me a glare which morphed into a smile.

"Ah-I'm so sorry for bumping into you. My name's  Tsubasa Nanase. I'd say it's nice to meet you but I spilled tea on your shirt, sorry about that," she introduced.

She began to insist on cleaning my shirt with tissues and while she was doing that she slipped in a piece of paper in the pocket of my blazer.

"Ah, I need to go now, bye!" She waved her hand and began to sprint to the toilet.

"Ki-Kiyotaka Do you know her?" Airi asked.

"Not really," I replied.

"She's in class C, I had to take the freshmen around the school for their orientation day," Keisei answered. (Read A/N at the end)

"I see... Well anyways, what do you guys want to get? I'll pay," Yousuke said.

Since he hung around the girls a lot, he was always the one to pay.

"Yousuke, don't worry about it we'll split the bill equally," I said.

He gave out a sigh of relief having to not sacrifice his wallet. With that, we started to order our drinks and sat by a table.