A new special exam?

As the holiday ended, my second year at this school had begun. I slowly descended down the stairs and saw Yousuke Hirata walking towards class.

"ah-" I mumbled seemingly surprised that he was awake this early.

He turned around and gave me a smile.

"Ayan- Kiyotataka, It's a surprise to see you awake at this time," He greeted.

Due to the events of the special exam from last year Yousuke had proposed to call each other by our first names as friends. Though, it's easy to see that it's taken time for us to adjust to being familiar to each other.

"I just wanted to get there early just in case," I replied.

"Then, do you mind if we walk there together?" He asks.

"I don't mind," I said.

As we approached the classroom a sign was plastered over it. The sign read 'all classrooms will be locked until 8:00am. First years, please make way to the gym before 9:00am'.

Huh. Maybe being early was a bad idea. Though, compared to most people I'm a pretty patient person. I can wait another 30 minutes.

"Ah, since it will take us half an hour why don't we walk around for a bit?" He suggests.

I had no quarrels and accepted his proposal and thus we walked around with no clear goal in mind.  

"So Kiyotaka do you mind if I sit with you during lunch? It's just that besides class related things, I've never hanged around with another guy before and I just want a breath of fresh air," He said. 

Since Yousuke is a model student and good looking many girls hang out with him for lunch.

"I'll have to ask the others," I replied.

I went onto my phone and onto the group chat and asked the question. They all agreed to this but Keisei also added that he should make sure that any of his admirers bring trouble he should tell them to back off.

"They said yes, but Keisei is warning that any of the girls that brings along trouble you should take care of it," I said.

Yousuke smiled in relief and agreed.

-

It was now 8 am and we were again, the first people in class. On the whiteboard there were words written on it which read, "please use the same seats from last year,". So we then sat on our old seats.

Everything seemed the same at first, but the atmosphere felt a bit empty and not just because Yousuke and I were the only ones here. It was because of a certain special exam, we were forced to expel one of our own classmate Haruki Yamauchi. The once 40 chairs and tables, have now been reduced to 39.

This was because last year when he left, they still had the empty seat for the remainder of the school year, but now, it was gone, truly showing that our classmate, Yamauchi, left us for good.

Soon, our classmates came to the class one by one, noting the missing chair and feeling guilt in their hearts.

But, Yousuke, the class mediator, of course picked up the sullen atmosphere and tried to cheer everyone up.

"Good morning everyone! Let's have fun and have a good year!" 

Though those words didn't sound anything special when putting it into text, he still made the class smile due to his cheerful tone and infectious smile.

Soon everyone began talking to each other like they haven't seen each other for a year but it was only for three weeks?

In the midst of their conversation, Horikita silently popped herself next to me.