Back to Normal

At the foster home the four kids were being kept at, the kids nine years and older went outside once a week with the couple who owned the home. They managed the garden and otherwise kept the yard clean. The oldest of the kids involved with the Bluejay experiment was seven, so they could stay in the house.

The four of them were in the girls' room, waiting for Phoenix. They had to get away now, because they were alone in the house. They could get away without anyone watching through the windows or coming into the room.

"Where is he?" Elijah demanded, stomping his foot.

"He'll get here," Lydia promised, but she, too, was beginning to worry. Where was he?

_

Meanwhile, Phoenix stood in front of a hardware store. He was waiting for no one to be looking at him.

Eventually, people left him alone. They probably figured he was fine, since he looked perfectly calm. Inside, though, he was terrified. Still, he appeared to be calm, so people had stopped approaching him.

Since he was now left alone, Phoenix thrust out his hand. A ladder at the back of the store flew toward him, crashing through the window. Phoenix smiled, as the ladder floated in front of him. He held it in the air with his mind, then set off, running toward the house the others were in. He used landmarks they'd told him about to find the place.

Phoenix arrived at the house utterly exhausted. He'd been using his powers to run, so that no one could clearly see him. He also had to keep the ladder in the air, and move that as quickly as he was running. Carrying the ladder took as much energy as if he was actually holding it physically, and it wasn't a small amount.

He reached the house, and put the ladder against the front. No one else was out. Reaching his senses out, he found only his friends inside. Everyone else was outside.

I'm here, he said.

Finally! Lydia cried. 

I'm coming, Phoenix! Ollie said.

Phoenix watched as Lydia helped lift Ollie onto the ladder. He used his mind to keep the ladder still. He knew Lydia was keeping hers trained on Ollie, trying to ensure that he wouldn't fall.

Ollie reached Phoenix, who lifted him off the ladder as soon as he could. Lydia lifted Elijah onto the ladder. He climbed down, just like Ollie. Phoenix put him on the ground.

Lydia then got onto the ladder herself, but she stood on the very top and balanced herself. She picked up Ashlyn, and placed her on the ladder above her. The two climbed down together, Lydia providing the extra help and safety tiny Ashlyn needed.

Once all four of them were down, Phoenix turned to Lydia. "You left a note, right?"

"Of course," she said. "Now, let's go save Asher!"

"Oh, we don't do that," Phoenix said awkwardly.

Asher would be released by someone else. The five of them could escape from other people, but Asher was better off following the law. Honestly, they were too, but that wasn't as important.

_

It took about a day of the five kids being alone, but Asher eventually returned. 

"Hey, kids," he said, walking into the basement to find them practicing. They swarmed him, all talking over each other.

"We had to go into foster care," Elijah said disgustedly.

"We came up with an escape plan and it was so fun!" Ollie said.

"Phoenix rescued us! He's a hero!" Ashlyn said excitedly.

"We were all taken except Phoenix, and he had to come and rescue us!" Lydia said.

"I got to learn a lot about my abilities," Phoenix said.

Asher paid attention to that last one. "What'd you say, Phoenix?" he asked.

"I learned a lot about my abilities," Phoenix replied.

Asher smiled. "Well, that's so wonderful," he said. "Are you teaching the others?"

"Yes," Phoenix said.

"Well, keep that up for a bit, alright?" Asher asked. "I have to do some paperwork. I don't like it so I'll be taking a few days maybe. Tell the others what you learned. You have to learn from each other, after all." He turned around, heading up the stairs.

"Asher?" Ashlyn asked.

"Yes?" he turned around.

"Will things go back to normal?" she asked.

"Yes," Asher replied, but Phoenix noticed his hesitation. "Yes, sweetie, things will go back to normal very soon."

And with that, he turned and left.

***

I'm sorry for neglecting this. I didn't have any ideas. But one formed in my head today, so I wrote it down.

Remember to vote and comment!