Circles

I'm stuck in the middle of it all, in space floating away, towards, from; it doesn't matter. There is no up or down in the void, its just then and there: in the silence. You're here with me, holding on to the tether that keeps us from drifting away. If we were to ever let go, we'd drift off into the vast unknown, and its likely that we may never see each other again. The universe is only too big for us.

The emptiness looks nice. The stars around us are dancing in their million-year choreograph, gracefully yet subtly beautifying the darkness. The Pillars of Creation floats there in the background, feeling so close yet so far. It must be cold there. The cold could kill me. But the sight is to die for.

We are oblivious to our oxygen levels. It doesn't seem to matter now since I am amongst eternity. But in the long-run it did. I was wary that we could die any moment now. Nevertheless, I enjoy the view surrounding me on all sides. It is a treasure, a sight to behold. I am lucky enough to get to see all this.

You are hasty. You panic because sometimes, it seems like I am dead. I float unresponsively at the other end of the tether but in fact I am just taking in the view. You try to help us back into the wreck of a spaceship, hoping that somehow, we could make it home. Home is too far away. We are a thousand light years from home and nothing on the ship will bring us back. Stop worrying and enjoy the view.

You're convinced that I've lost it, that I'm out of my mind. You blame it on the universe, oh how it has taken me away from you. How it has wrapped it's gruesome arms around my being and has ripped me apart, away from you. You want to give up some of your oxygen for me, hoping it would help. Thank you, I'm grateful for it. But your life is all you have. Treasure it.

Our tether grows weaker and weaker. We feel the strings twang and break ever so slowly. You're afraid to let go, because you know that if you do, we may never see each other again. You hold on tighter but alas, my grip has failed. I have given in to the universe, the eternity that surrounds me. You can't see it can you? The beauty of it all? Loosen your grip and focus on the behemoth that lies around us. It will help.

You refuse to listen and you hold on to the tether. You don't want to let go. You can't. You made a promise you couldn't break. I was all you have. The universe could die. I was all you ever needed. The pain. I couldn't take it. I can't accept the way you felt about me, the burden I have to carry for hours on end. I can't go through this pain. I didn't want to.

I pleaded you to let go. I am unworthy of your love. You didn't want to so you held on to it tighter. Your strength further strained and breaking the cord. Slowly but surely, the tether rips into two. We were both flying away from each other in a graceful but macabre way. You scream my name, pleading me to come back. I was incapable of that. There is nothing in the emptiness that could push me towards you anymore. I have accepted it. I was among the stars. What more did I need?

As I grow further and further away from you, your screams and cries grow softer and eventually fade away. I become one with the darkness.

The darkness that surrounds you.