Chapter Two

It would seem that dad has had the same idea as I did, as he is settled down by the microscope when I enter the lap. Molly is standing by a rack of test tubes, and she drops a different solution into each.

"Have we identified the poison yet?" I ask, breaking the silence and causing the test tube that Molly is currently holding to drop and smash on the floor.

"Not yet," dad replies. "You saw the marks, then."

"Almost immediately," I reply. "I came up to hurry things along a bit."

After half an hour of getting nowhere with testing Stoner's blood, we stop.

"We've been here before," dad says thoughtfully, throwing his petri dish across the room in anger. "An unidentifiable poison."

"Could she have been bitten by something," Molly asks quietly. "A snake perhaps?"

"That would be the obvious answer," I reply. "Things like this are never that simple." As I say this, John walks through the lab door.

"Wondered when you'd join us," dad said, standing up and beginning to pace. "I need you to phone around the local zoos, see if they're missing any snakes."

"You think she was bitten?" John questions after a moment.

"We can't be sure," I admit. "There is an unidentifiable posion in her blood stream. We're just eliminating the impossible at the moment."

"What are you two going to do?"

"Check around with Julia's friends and family," dad tells him, packing up. "Somebody must know something."