Chapter TwentyTwo

I wiped the fresh tear that ran down my cheek in solitude and sniffed, now feeling the effects of the harsh wind as it blew against my coat. I was so distraught it was unreal. I breathed deeply and peered down at the grave. After last week's encounter with dad being attacked by those rowdy men, I knew it would come to this; me staring at the gravestone wordlessly. Feeling the earth beneath me I inhaled deeply, now beginning to feel light-headed.

"I don't know what to do," I whispered hoarsely. "I wish you were here to guide me." I placed the flowers on the grave and sighed. "I wish I remembered you. You seemed like a wonderful person." I thought of the amazing woman beneath the gravestone and closed my eyes in a brief prayer. Tanisha would never be forgotten, ever. It was just unlucky that memories of her were yet to come back to me. I couldn't help but wonder how her partner, Trey, was doing; probably wallowing in depression. And what about their daughter, Shavonne? I couldn't even recall the last time I saw her, but it had been awhile. I sat there in silence, listening to the breeze whistle around me. I glanced around the cemetery; it was cold, dark and empty. I had a lot of guts to come here by myself at this hour, but I couldn't care less. Tanisha was important to me, even if this is where she rested now, I will continue to cherish her greatly. I heard footsteps and felt an overbearing presence form behind me. I quickly looked over my shoulder to see someone I didn't think I'd ever see. I was shocked by the familiar face. Squinting up into the darkness, I raised a brow.

"Kayden?"

"Erica?" He took a seat beside me and gave me a look. I nodded a greeting and he did the same in return. He appeared blank and quiet. This was a change from the last time I had seen him. "You're the last person I'd expect to see here." He stated. I glanced at him quizzically. Funny he should say that. I found it odd that he was here at this precise moment. I had heard mum on the phone a few months back discussing his disappearance, and now here he was. I didn't know much about it, but I was certain that he was reported missing. Either that was a lie, or I was imagining a figure that wasn't actually there. I took his statement into account and fiddled with the blades of grass beneath me. I thought of Tanisha again and sighed.

"She meant a lot to me, even if I don't remember her well." I admitted. He gave a gentle smile.

"She meant a lot to all of us." He soothed. I simply nodded and turned to him once again.

"She was your aunty, right?" He nodded once. "Did she ever talk about me?"

"All the time. She was close to your mum. She would always bring you round mine, especially on a Sunday. You, Shavonne and Zaine would always play together." I smiled briefly, taking this all in. It was bugging me that none of this was in my memory at all.

"I don't remember..." I grumbled.

"I know, don't worry." I peered at the grave stone once again and sighed. "Something bothering you?" He enquired gently. Even in the darkness as I tried to hide my frown, he could still sense my wariness.

"Alot actually." I answered after brief hesitation.

"I'm all ears."

"It's nothing, just worried about my dad." His brow rose.

"What happened to him?"

"We went out for a meal last week and he got attacked by a few men. I had to run and call for help." His lips parted in awe.

"Where is he now, is he okay?" He appeared apprehensive.

"Kings College hospital. He's fine, but I haven't seen him in a couple days." He grunted in abhorrence. We spoke abit more about personal things and he comforted me and managed to make me feel better. I appreciated Kayden's attitude towards me. He was more like a big brother than anything. He told me old stories of our childhood and the mischief we'd get up to; it distracted me from the real issue at hand and made me carefree for atleast a minute. I noticed it was getting late. Kayden stood up to dusted himself off. I watched him curiously.