Chapter 1: You Shouldn't Be Here, Dearie

(1802 words)

Your POV

"Lass you better stop running!"

"You'll pay for what you stole from us!"

I need to keep moving, faster, faster! My future depends on it. My feet dig into the Earth as I run over it to move a little quicker. Though that does come in handy when you spend your adolescent years running from people now, doesn't it?

Climbing up the small hill in front of the castle, since it was either this castle and face the beast inhabiting it, or it was facing the huntsmen behind me. Beast it is! Pulling on the large, heavy door I got inside turning to see the huntsmen stop and sheath their weapons.

Leaning against the door while fighting to catch my breath, it slows after a bit and returns to its normal speed. Standing up straight and glancing around the foyer. A grand staircase in front of the door caught my attention while moving further into the estate.

"You shouldn't be in here, dearie"

Jumping as I spin around, seeing what appeared to be a man. Although there was something off about him. Resembling similarly to one, but had large eyes, a sparkly gold complexion, long nails, and clad in various hues of leather.

"I-I'm sorry. I was running from these-"

"Huntsmen? I already know that dearie. That doesn't change the fact that you should not be in here." His high tone lowered into a dark annoyed one at the end of the sentence.

Stepping closer to me slightly, myself taking a similar sized step back, hesitating. Before stepping closer to him in a pleading fashion.

"Please, let me stay here just a few minutes longer. Just to be sure that the huntsmen have left my trail."

Uttering an eerily joyful giggle while looking me up and down. "If I do that, what would be in it for me?"

Being caught off guard for a moment my eyes fell on him. "Well, I don't have any money."

Giggling again and continuing a slow circle around me. "That's clear from the rags and the lack of shoes. Try again." his hand gesturing in a small wave, flowing down a little.

Looking at my hands, my mind pondered for a moment.

What could I possibly have to offer to him? I had nothing to my name, I came from nothing. I've been absolutely nothing but a peasant and a horrendous thief. 

"What do you want?"

Flicking my eyes up at him as he was behind me. His face fell as his large eyes began skimming me up and down again for what felt like hours, but were only a few seconds.

"Nothing," he stated flatly while waving his hand in a spinning motion. Watching a bit of purple smoke surround me a gasp passed my lips.

Opening my eyes slowly after being met without any pain from the oddly colored smoke. Blinking once the sun stung my eyes as they did their best to adjust. My eyes darted around, noticing that I was back in the woods. Standing as I spun around trying to find the huntsmen, soon realizing that I was alone. Relaxing as I realized it. 

Even the most feared Beast in the land wants nothing from me. 

Frowning for a moment and looking up at the trees. Dancing with the wind, making a gentle rustling noise as the leaves hit each other, and others nearby tree. Sighing gently as I closed my eyes, listening. opening them slowly, shaking my head. Deciding to make my way to the closest village. Hopefully, I could see what everyone else was up to. Sighing on my way to the village gently being lost in my thoughts.