26. Alternative Ways

"Your parents didn't die a natural death," the goat began.
Shen was unimpressed. "Sure, to die because of sadness isn't very natural."
"That's not what I meant."
"And how did you mean it instead?"
"After you was banished, after you left the city, it became so silent in the palace."
Shen lifted his nose. "So what?"
"Your mother... your mother became depressive. Nothing could make her laugh. And for new children, they were incapable. Five years passed. Your mother no longer found meaning in life without you, until she made up her mind to search for you."
Now Shen raised his eyebrows a little, but he kept his callous facial expression. "So, did she?"
"Yes, despite she wasn't allowed to see you somehow, she left the city without your father's knowing about it. But as you can imagine, she wasn't prepared for dangers outside."
The goat paused a moment.
"After a long time, she got the hint that someone saw you in the mountains. But unfortunately... she met with an accident there."
The goat looked at Shen. But he didn't show a sign of sadness. But she knew, he ensconced his feelings deep in his soul.
"After the accident," the goat continued. "Some colliers found her after many days. They managed to bring her back to Gongmen City, but her condition didn't ameliorate. Then the day came that she died. But before she left our world, your father had a chance to talk with her."
"There is still something good inside him," the peahen whispered, while she was holding the wing of her husband. "I know it. Promise me that you take good care of him.
The ruler looked at her with a warm look. "I will see what I can do."

"After the funeral, your father became more silent. But he was determined to keep his promise. One day, he left the city and went out into the world."
The lord showed indifference. "And for what? He will never make it right after what he had done to me."
The goat sighed. "It was for your protection."
"Great!" Shen hissed. "If he only walked away to apologize, it was too late."
The goat shook her head. "Because of this, he didn't leave the city. Listen, after your banishment, you had no right to inherit the treasures of the family anymore. But it was the wish of your father to give you something after his death. And for this reason, he worked."
"Working?" Shen looked at her in disbelief.
"Yes. He worked. Year after year he looked for a work to earn money and unfortunately he was involved with criminal gangs to steal gold."
Shen's eyes became big. That was a side which he had never seen from his father. The goat covered her face with shame.
"Of course, it was a mistake which he regretted after a while and he gave back the gold later and instead he decided to work in gold mines. Over 10 years, he did nothing more than to collect step by step gold nuggets, but he never spent it and lived from hand to mouth."
She sighed deeply.
"After so many years, he was at the limit of his tethers. But shortly before he died, he walked back to Gongmen City, where he met me. He was an exhausted, run-downed, weary old man. He unfolded what he had done. And I should inform his son, that if he ever regrets his sins, he should get the assets which he collected to make a new start. It would be enough for you to build a new state of existence. Only if you change your way."
Shen looked at her silently. Then he smiled.
"Alright. I regret", he said with calm and gentle voice.
The goat shook her head with regret. "You can't lie to me, Shen. I will only disclose you the storage location, if you regret honestly."
The face of the lord darkened.
"Well then, in that case, you give me no other choice than to fulfill my way."
The eyes of the goat dilated. "Shen, if you think he will harm you, then you are profoundly wrong."
"Oh, I think that you will be the one, who will be wrong. He will kill me. He has to kill me. There is still a reason for that."
The goat shook her head softly. "How can you be so blind?"
Shen snorted. "I will prove. You will see. This night, he will kill me."
The goat sighed deeply. Then she turned around and left him.
"You don't believe me, do you?!" Shen cried at her. "I will prove! I can prove you're wrong!"
But the goat didn't reply and walked her way into the forest. Shen looked after her with bitter glance. But he didn't run at her.
"I can prove."
I will prove.