29. Yes, Master

With slow footsteps, Po climbed up the long, limitless stairs. All hell will be let loose, he thought, but he had to go back. In the last part of the palace stairs, he stopped. It was so quiet here like he never heard it before. His footsteps echoed on the stony floor. He passed the gate and went up to the palace house.
The doors were open. Po sighed deeply. The hall was empty, beside the relicts.
Po stopped immediately when he was seeing Shifu at the end of the hall.
The little master said nothing, just staring at the panda.
Po raised his paw shyly. "Hi."
"Step forward," was the only dark answer what he got.
Po swallowed and walked at the kung fu master. Meanwhile, Shifu had turned his back at him and stared like into an invisible space.
Shortly before him the panda came to a hold. He rubbed his palms together and looked at him questioningly. "Uhm, master?"
"Po. What have I told you?"
"Em, there were many things what you told me, master- Ouch!"
Shifu had hit his long cane on Po's fingers. "I told you, you shouldn't come into his near! I have warned you several times!"
Po stepped backwards while Shifu forced him back. "I always warned you, again and again. Why didn't you listen to me?!"
Po lowered his glance deeply. "I don't know, Master Shifu. I only hopped that- Ouch!"
"Po, you can't face the truth, can you?"
"What truth?"
"Po! You saw it with your own eyes! He was going to kill you yesterday! Nothing had changed!"
"I know, master, but it seems that..."
"I sent out the soldiers. I gave order to hunt him down, without exception."
"No, master! I think, I can..."
Po had no chance to speak one word more. Shifu grabbed him on his head and threw him with his little weights to the ground.
"Ouch, ouch, ouch, my nose!"
"Panda! Start to listen! If it wasn't be so important, I would ban you from the festival! And if you weren't the Dragon Warrior, I wouldn't let you come in into the palace anymore!"
Shifu jumped down from him. Po rubbed his head.
"Your behavior is more than scandalous. You prejudiced not only you and me, and us, but the whole village!"
Po stood there like crestfallen. Maybe the master was right, but otherwise there was still a glimmer of hope inside him. But Shifu wouldn't listen to him.
Master Shifu cleaned his throat and turned around with calmer voice. "Po, I know how much it means to you, but believe me, it's the best for all that he doesn't live anymore. Let him find his peace and ours. I heard from Master Storming Ox that he was angry that he survived the accident in the sea. Believe me, it's his wish to find his peace in death."
Po blinked. He kept the picture of Shen in his mind where he ordered him to hit the knife into his chest. Was it the truth, that he wanted to die?
"Look at me while I'm talking to you!" Shifu ordered.
Po looked at his yes. "Yes, master."
"I had expected an apologize at least," the master rebuked.
Po sighed. "Yes, master. I'm sorry for all, I'm sorry for all the mess what I have caused."
With that, the panda bent down with ashamed face. "I'm sorry."
Shifu raised his eyebrows. "Po, I insist on obedience from you for now. Do you understand now?"
"Yes, master." It was a weak 'yes'.
"Po."
Po winced.
"I confide in you. Don't disappoint me."
It was difficult to answer for Po. "Yes, master."
Suddenly, a loud voice of a palace goose echoed through the hall.
"They are coming, they are coming!"
Shifu pricked up his ears and looked at Po again. "Po, if that is over, we will continue our dialog."
Po nodded sadly. "Yes, master."
This was rock-bottom.