Sixteenth Drabble - Medein

He still couldn't look them in the eyes for long, avoiding their gaze as much as he could without being rude. After all, it was not the place of one like Medein to meet the eyes of Death so casually, not without risking the wrath of his gods and goddesses. So why did his beloved wife seem so upset with him after the meal was over and the shadowy Entity had left? Why did she insist that he'd been rude when he looked down at the table while talking to the being who insisted they both call him Ashe?

And what kind of godly name was that, anyhow? Ashe? Ashe? What was wrong with the name Thanatos, the god of death? Now there was a name that brought shivers down his spine! There was a name that shouted power and could make babies weep in their cradle! There was a name that-

A sudden chill to the air had him freezing in place, echoing laughter flitting about the room as the shadows began to shift around him.

"I nearly forgot, I have a present for the baby. I do hope you can give it to the little one when he is feeling better. My wife insists and you know how that is. We must always do as our wives desire, especially if we wish to have a happy life at home. Right, Medein?" The cold voice behind him froze him even more than the cool air as an arm reached around him to place a carefully wrapped gift on the desk he'd been standing in front of.

"Of course! Yes! Happy wife, happy life is what her parents told me!" Medein stammered as he carefully tried to shift to the side slightly before he saw the shadows darken.

"Yes. Happy wife, happy life indeed. Make sure it remains so," the Entity spoke before vanishing.

It didn't help, however, that he could still hear the echoing, harsh whisper of "Just call me Death, if you can't call me Ashe. And for her sake, look at me when we talk, even if you stare at my forehead instead of look at my eyes! Just do it!" for several minutes after the air had grown warm again.

It was even longer before he felt ready to leave the room, grabbing the gift with shaky hands and making his way to find his wife and son, a smile plastered on his face as he repeated the words over and over in his head.

Happy wife, happy life.

~~~~~~~~

"Ashe, sweetie? Where did the present go? I told you I wanted to be there to see him open it!" A usually gentle voice called out from nearby just minutes after Ashe returned.

"Umm... I can explain?" He spoke nervously as shadows began shifting along the wall as footsteps grew closer on the other side of the door.

"Oh, you had better explain this, love... You know I wanted an excuse to see the baby again! He's just too cute!"