Ashe Bio

Name: Ashe

Species: Grim Reaper/Death

Gender: Male

Sexuality: Unknown

Description: Ashe is tall, well over six feet in height, which makes him appear even leaner than he really is when he takes on his human form. His hair is kept short, just a few inches in length. The color itself seems to change from pitch black to dark brown seemingly at random. He tends to wear dark colors, finding it easier to ignore any unexpected stains he might acquire in his line of work.

His actual attire changes based on what the one being reaped expects when encountering Death, although his default state of dress outside of work is a hooded leather jacket, black shirt, and black jeans, easily able to blend in with much of the youth in the US these days. Which makes sense as that is where he based his style from during one of the few times he actually bothered to take note of the world around him beyond who he was reaping at the time.

Most times in the US and much of Europe when he is reaping souls, he finds himself looking to be little more than a skeletal frame wearing nothing but a hooded robe/ The robes material is seemingly made up of shadows that constantly shift about, tendrils occasionally reaching out towards the unfortunate soul standing before him before it slowly sinks back into the shifting mass of darkness.

A small, slightly sadistic part of himself (that he refuses to acknowledge as having) often enjoys the reactions his cloak usually gets.

Personality: Ashe has developed a cold attitude towards humans due to seeing both the best and the worst of them over the millennia that they have existed. As the worst always far outnumbered the best, he slowly closed himself off to humanity and became focused strictly on doing his job in regards to them. He rarely bothers taking any form of interest in humans other than glimpsing at the current trend is in clothing, one of the very few 'guilty pleasures' he enjoys.

Even children rarely get a reprieve from his cold personality, having seen too many child soldiers in too many battles to still think them all naturally innocent. He knows just how easily that innocence can be corrupted. As such, he holds even children at an emotional distance. It is the rare child that can get even a flicker of emotion to show in his eyes, and it has been centuries since a smile has touched his lips.

Favorite things: There are not many things that Ashe favors in his existence. However, he does enjoy watching how fashion has changed over the centuries and favors wearing the styles that catch his eye when he looks in on such things every several decades.

Other than that, humanity rarely manages to catch his attention, let alone his favor. He's still unsure where the rumor started that humans could return to their lives simply by winning a game against him. In fact, he spends a fair amount of time each decade trying to find out so that he can have his revenge, loathing how many reapings he's had to deal with a human begging for him to play some game or another (usually chess, which he does not, in fact, care for) so they can win back their freedom.

He long ago gave up trying to explain that death is freedom.

Other favored things include stargazing (one of his major hobbies) and certain alien lifeforms. From time to time, when a few hours can be spared, he will wander other planets and visit those few favored species, even if they do not often know he is there.

Hobbies: Ashe spends much of his "off work" time watching galaxies collide, suns go supernova, planets being born and dying, and sometimes watching what mischief the gods of this world are up to. He does the last part out of boredom and part out of paranoia that they will cause him even more work than he already has. After all, it's not like he has any help getting his job done. He alone reaps the souls of the dead and he alone files the information away after filling out the paperwork.

And there is always paperwork, sometimes ridiculous amounts of paperwork, all just to make sure everyone goes where they are supposed to and are accounted for, just in case some fool tries to claim someone they know isn't where they are supposed to be. As if they think Ashe would make mistakes after doing his job since before time even began! And he would continue to do so even after time itself came to an end, reaping the very universe someday so that it could be born anew! For them to think he would, could, make a mistake while doing his job?

What an insult!

History: Ashe's history is as long as time itself, having been there to see the creation of our world and later on the birth of our species. At first, he found humans to be curious things, strange yet familiar at the same time. However, over the centuries, that curiosity dwindled as he watched humans begin to war with each other, the death tolls rising with each new invention created for battle.

He grimaced as sticks were traded for clubs and spears, shook his head when they were then traded for swords and bows, and finally turned his back when guns began appearing. He refused to interact with humans as he once used to, swearing to himself that he would only deal with them when he had to once it came time to collect each one.

Besides, with the loss of Kohmus in ancient Egypt, humans just didn't hold the same appeal they once had. They lacked the honor and dignity that the Pharaoh of old had carried like a second skin. And he could only watch his descendants for so long, seeing both how human they had become with each generation and yet also seeing hints of the man he had taken such an interest in during his lifetime. And even for a time afterward.

Of course, it was hard to ignore humanity when their fashion caught his eye, but he could often be watchful of that without actually paying attention to the human wearing it.

For those wondering, Kohmus is a character from Sands of Time, a book by the amazing and wonderful AssassinPsyche who has generously accepted sharing parts of my world with her and vise versa. Ashe has made small appearances in some of her other books, but this one is the first so far that has shown more than just a glimpse or hint of Ashe. You can find that book here, https://www.wattpad.com/story/183265046-sands-of-time so please check it (or one of her other amazing books) out!