Chapter Nine

We took a seat on a bench by the fountain. Dave took up a position close by, in case anything happened. He liked to make sure I was okay, like a worried father. However, Kennard and I sat silently as I scribbled down a letter. Kennard knew how to write, but not well. So, I was writing in simple handwriting to allow him to read over my shoulder.

Edward,

I hope you are well. I write this from beside the fountain, with a new friend by my side (he smiled when I wrote that). He is lovely, friendly and polite. (He is blushing now) It is nice to have someone to talk to who is so close to my age. Of course, I adore corresponding with you, but it isn't quite the same as actual human contact. I was beginning to forget what it was like to properly talk to someone.

I haven't heard from you in a while, and I wanted to show you something. I received some scraps of map with my name on and I was wondering if you knew who they were from. I am checking by the docks tomorrow, out of curiosity. My sisters' tutor thought that should be the place to look. I am sending you the note and map pieces simply because I thought you would be interested.

We are now well and truly into summer. It rained earlier, and looks as if it will again later. I'm not sure I like storms, especially ones with thunder. I'm not scared of it, it just makes me uncomfortable. Storms must be horrible at sea, with the wind blowing water into your eyes. Though, I suppose you probably try to avoid sailing during large storms. As long as you are safe, I do not care.

Even now, I still worry. Your parents are worried and they love you, though I don't suspect that will last long since they didn't seem too convinced when I told them. My opinion won't change for anything. You are still partly the same boy I knew as a child, may that never change.

Elisa.

Kennard took the letter from me once I was finished and read anything he hadn't quite caught up on. After, he handed it back. I slipped it into my sleeve to place in an envelope later.

"You've known Edward long, then?"

"Yes. We first met at age ten when my step-father took us there. My real father used to take me when I was much younger - maybe three or four - but then he was killed for his fortune, his murderers being caught before they could take anything. I was only taken once a month, given the length of the journey from London, where I lived with my father and mother. My mother's new husband saw how upset she was that she couldn't visit them anymore so he began taking us once a month. We went every month up until my first sister was born. It was then every few months, if we had any time. Once my other sisters came along, we barely went once a year. It became a very occasional thing. Then, we finally went again, after my step-father only going on his own for a while, and Edward was playing with little toy soldiers." I pulled mine from my little coin purse. "We each keep one on our person at all times." I smiled as I looked down, brushing each dent with my thumb.

"May I see him?" Reluctantly, I dropped the soldier into his palm. "He looks rather old - built well. I would have expected far more damage that this."

"It was Edward's father's and was passed on to him. We were ten when he gave it to me." Kennard handed it back.

"I suppose we should get back to the meeting room before the girls realise we left." He rose from his seat. I did the same, waving to Dave. He nodded and trotted towards his tool shed. Kennard and I walked through the garden, passing flower bed after flower bed of red roses and bluebells. (Aha, bit of a callback to chapter three 😉) I ran my fingers along a few of the petals, before stopping in my tracks.

"Dave?" I called, causing Kennard to stop and turn. Dave emerged and smiled. "Could you cut some of the roses please? I will take them to Linnete and Bernard on my way to the docks tomorrow." He went back into the shed and grabbed a tool to cut them with. He snipped off four roses and one bluebell, purely to add extra colour. I took them from him with a smile and continued walking inside. "We should put these in some water." I pushed open the door from outside to the kitchen and one of the maids scampered to stand in front of me. I waved a hand, indicating that she wasn't needed at this moment. I grabbed a vase from the windowsill and dunked it into a bowl of water on the counter. It filled up half way so I took it from the water and placed the flowers inside. "Do not throw these out. I will require them tomorrow." The row of six maids nodded. "Thank you. Ensure everyone knows, should they step into the kitchen."