Chapter Thirty Seven

A knock came at the front door very early in the morning. I had fallen asleep downstairs, Caroline a mess from the night before in which there had been a large ball to celebrate my pregnancy. She had a level of social anxiety, and I refused to leave her alone in that state. She too had heard the knocking and sat up, taking her sheets up with her.

"Elisa? Who is knocking?" She rubbed her eyes.

"I am not sure yet, sweet. I'll look out of the window." I picked back the curtain slightly, and spotted a woman in a large bonnet and a red dress with blonde hair stopping just halfway down her back. I grinned, and jumped off of the sofa. "It's an old friend from my school. I will get dressed and then greet her. Edith?" I called out. Within moments, Edith appeared. "Would you let our guest into the main lounge? I'm just going to dress in a decent outfit." She bowed, and swept over to the door. I made my way upstairs and into mine and Martin's room. He smiled when I entered. He was already up and reading from a book of stories I had written as a child.

"I heard someone knocking."

"It is a friend from school. Phoebe Mason. I believe I told you about her."

"Ah, yes. The blonde one." He nodded gently, still scanning through the book.

"Have you seen my green dress? The one without the corset?" His finger pointed at the wardrobe. I opened it, and pulled the dress from the third hanger in. A pair of matching shoes were laid on the floor beside the vanity table. I changed quickly, hiding behind a paper screen from Martin. He whistled when I stepped out to sort out my hair. "Quiet, you." I simply pinned my hair into a bun on the top of my head. "Right, I'm off to see Phoebe." Martin blew a kiss at me as I left the room. I practically sprinted down the stairs, and spotted the mop of blonde hair in the lounge room. I squealed and ran towards her. I threw my arms around her from behind. Once I had pulled away, she stood up and faced me. "What a surprise!"

"You didn't invite me so I took the liberty to invite myself. Plus, I understand that you have some news." She looked to my stomach. It was barely noticeable that it had grown, but I knew that it had slightly within the last month. The baby was probably about eight weeks old now, possibly ten.

"Martin and I are expecting a child."

"I gathered. Have you told that pirate friend of yours yet?"

"No, I forgot about him completely." She produced an envelope from her sleeve with my name scrawled across the front.

"I'm guessing that this is from him. So you had better write your reply."

"How did you get this?" I took the envelope, examining it. It still had a faint salty smell to it.

"I told them that I was a new housemaid and that I had been given the chore of collecting letters. But only the letters for Miss Ward." She tapped the side of her nose. I broke the wax seal and took the parchment from the envelope.

Dearest Elisa,

I am safe. As of this moment, I sit in a tavern with one of my most trusted friends, James Kidd. Though a young boy of only about nineteen years, he is very wise. We speak about the Observatory, and I have shown him your research. It has come in very helpful in our quest to find this place. We know of the Sage, Bartholomew Roberts, due to my time posing as Duncan Walpole, an assassin turned Templar.

I am glad to hear that you are doing well. It will stop me worrying. James, Thatch, Adewale, Anne - they're all sick of me mentioning you. I am happy to hear as well that you and your fiance are settling down. Martin Labrousse, was it? He sounds like a fine gentleman. If he hurts you, you bring him to me. I shall see that he doesn't hurt anyone ever again.