Chapter Ten

Hey guys, leave a comment below if you can read the message at the bottom because my laptop won't show the chapter after halfway. Thanks for your help, if you cant read it please do tell me so that I can contact Wattpad to get it fixed.

Mother called me into my step-father's office. We all sat around his desk, uninterrupted by anyone else.

"What is this about?" He asked finally when no one said anything.

"Elisa wants to change her name and I think she should."

"To what?"

"Elisa Roselyn Ward." I sat up slightly straighter. "I want to go back to having my father's surname." He drummed his fingers on the desk lightly.

"This is going to cost quite a bit."

"I will write it into the book."

"Elisa-"

"Please. This is all I want." I looked at him, trying to make him see sense. I could tell that he wouldn't be happy with allowing it, but it was really all I wanted. He sighed. I suppose I secretly knew he would agree to it, due to my mother's pleading eyes.

"This should be up to you more than me. But, I see what this means to you." He reached beneath the desk into a drawer which was locked with a key. Inside was a small bag of money. "This should cover the name change. Also, if you happen to go down to the docks, would you send this letter for me?" I nodded with a smile.

"Thank you."

I gathered my own letters, the flowers for Linette especially and the pieces of map before leaving with Holden and with mother. She wanted to look at buying a new pair of shoes for a ball she was planning for my nineteenth birthday.

"Elisa, I want you to know that, on your next birthday, you will be leaving for your final education. The ball will be the week before, and it will also be an opportunity for you to meet a few suitors." I nodded sadly. I had heard some talk about me leaving on my birthday. I was just upset that I wouldn't be able to spend it with anyone I actually knew, other than family. "I will invite Kennard. You seemed to take quite a liking to him."

"I did, mother. I would like for him to be there."

The carriage soon stopped and we stepped out. I first headed towards the Kenways' home, and mother simply planned to stay in the shoe shop. Bernard was already coming down the path to head out to work. I smiled his way with a wave. He grinned back.

"Good morning, miss. Linette is inside." He spotted the flowers in my hand. "They're beautiful."

"They are from our garden. I'm glad you like them, you will be seeing them around your home." He tipped his hat to me as I carried on walking. True enough, I saw Linette through the window, airing out a pair of Bernard's trousers. I could also tell she was singing and, as I got closer, I could hear her soft voice and the words from a lullaby. I knocked quickly on the front door. It opened quickly while Linette was still humming. She gave a little smile at the sight of me.

"Good morning." I handed over the flowers.

"I had these picked from our garden. I thought you would like them so I wanted to bring them over." She took them from me and waved me inside.

"Come, I will put them in a vase. You can help me find the best place to put them."

"Do you have a fireplace? They would look quite nice while a fire is burning." She tapped a finger on her bottom lip a few times.

"I suppose so." She filled a vase with some water from a large bowl and placed the flowers inside. I picked the vase from her hand and positioned it on the top of the fireplace. There were a few small ornaments which were arranged perfectly to fit the vase between them. I turned back to Linette to check the placement with her and she simply smiled and nodded.

"Oh, I was wondering about that lullaby you were singing."

"It's called Suo Gan - Sleep My Baby. I used to sing it to Edward when he was a child." (The lullaby is in the video link. It is a Welsh lullaby from the early 18th century. I picked the English 'dubbed' one instead of the traditional Welsh one which Linette was singing. It still is the same song but just not in Welsh.) She wore a huge smile. "He would fall right to sleep after I sang it to him. Bernard would even fall asleep while we were singing."

"I wish my parents had sung lullabies to me. My real father used to, but my mother stopped once he passed away." I fiddled with the necklace around my neck. "I have my violin now so I play it for my sisters once in a while." Linette grabbed my hand, rubbing the back of it with her thumb.

"I don't know if I will be able to tell Edward this but promise me that, once you have children, you will sing that lullaby to your children. I don't care who those children are with but you need to pass on how it feels to have a lullaby sung to you."

"Of course. I wouldn't even think twice. I will try to find a music sheet in the market and I can practice it." I gave her a tight hug. "I'm afraid I have to go. My mother is waiting for me in the shoe shop."

"Alright. I will see you again soon."

~~~~

Mother greeted me just outside of the shop. She wore an angry look.

"You have been gone almost an hour, child."

"Sorry, mother. Linette was telling me about some Welsh lullabies. Anyway, I need to go down to the harbour. I have some pieces of a map with my name on and I must know what they mean."

"I have had your name changed, posted your father's letter and also found out what those scraps mean. Absolutely nothing. Kennard sent them to scare you. He thought it would be funny. He was down at the harbour today and told me that he left them at the post office." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"How odd... But, you posted my letter, I trust?" She nodded. "Good. Then, we need to look for music sheets."

"For what?"

"For my violin." I gave a smile as we started towards the book shop.

~~~~

(A/N) Hello guys :D Here is this week's chapter. Enjoy :) (I thought I would have more to say here but apparently I don't okay bye) Also, if you guys can see this message, please comment down below. I ask because my laptop only shows about half of the chapter when I'm reading it. So, yeah, I'm just a little anxious because, if you can't read it, I'm not sure how to fix it.