[Act 1] Chapter 19: Arrival at Hindenburg

Start from the beginning

Stepping off his horse, Erenn bowed before the grey soldiers and said, "My name is Erenn Zaurus, Archduke of Zaurus. Who do I have the pleasure of speaking to?"

"I am Captain Herkenhoff," the officer greeted, calmly lowering the wand, "a commander within the Third Unit of the Tor Korps. Now I must ask again, what are you doing in these lands? You don't ride under any banner we recognize, not of the legitimists or the royalists. You must be a kingdom we have never heard of, in which case we must direct you towards one of the outposts for questioning."

Taking a deep breath, Erenn said, "I have come in search of the ruler of these lands. I need not report to a mere outpost."

Herkenhoff raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean you are here for the ruler of these lands?"

"I mean I have come on my own terms to meet with the leader who rules these lands," Erenn told, slightly annoyed. "I need you to direct me to your commanding officer's headquarters so I may begin negotiations on neutral ground. I invoke the right of an archduchy upon thee."

"I am sorry, but this is irregular," Herkenhoff told, "we have had no such message sent to us detailing your arrival and we certainly have not been given notice of an army of knights marching. Right now, you are trespassing into sovereign German territory and I request that you-"

"I am not leaving," Erenn growled, to the surprise of both his men and the Germans, "I am here to offer my services to the man who rules this land and-"

"A man who comes up with no such message or any way of knowing into our territory is a hostile action, especially without permission from our outer defences. If I am to guess, you must have somehow gone around or caught the gun crews napping to get this far."

"For the love of the Paragons, let me pass. I offer him something that is worth more than gold and silver. If you were smart you would let me pass before I take my army to walk around you." 

The words were heard and the grip on the staff and sword hilts tightened. After what seemed a minute, Herkenhoff sighed a breath and turned around.

"Please wait here," the officer demanded, "I will need to make a call to my superiors and explain this. Be glad that Werner is generous to you natives, otherwise, it would end badly for you."

Erenn eyed the officer as he turned his back to him and walked behind one of the carriages. Looking around him, none of the Greys seemed to be letting their guard down, treating the knights as if they are hostile, despite no one drawing steel. Though, Erenn understood the cautiousness completely. If your only ally in a world not of yours are dark elves and a defeated empress, then everything around you would be considered hostile.

"I have to admit," Erenn spoke up, directed towards the men surrounding him, "your handling of the situation is more disciplined than how most of Mordred's men would have handled it."

One soldier spoke, "On Oberstleutnant Werner's orders, anyone fleeing from the Arthurian Empire is to be treated as refugees. If anyone is willing to join them, they are not to be importuned in any way. Orders are orders."

Unnecessary mercy to your enemies, intriguing, Erenn thought.

After a few minutes, Herkenhoff walked back towards the knights and spoke, "You have permission to report directly to our commanding officer, as per his wishes. I would suggest you be on your best behaviour if you are to meet with him. He may be merciful to his allies, but he doesn't take too kindly with his enemies."

"Noted," Erenn said, taking his horse and galloping forward.

...

Werner was up on top of the stone battlements of the entrance to his camp, calmly looking over the hillside while smoking a cigarette. No army dared to come close ever since the first few failed attacks, so the hillside is completely clear, so clear that the defenders just might dismantle the Flaks on the outside perimeters and return the order of Sturmtigers.