[Act 1] Chapter 6: The Empress-In-Waiting

30th August 1500 NA, western Arthurian Empire

Royal Palace, City of Guinevere

I am the true Empress of the Empire of Arthur.

It was an unpleasant thought, one Guinevere had thought over again and again in her mind. It was her right, her birthright, but some people actually believed her brother Mordred was the true successor, despite Arthur's law by his very own words: firstborn has the strongest claim to the crown, regardless of who it is. Honour apparently doesn't exist anymore with the nobility.

Judging by how Mordred managed to pull off a coup with little resistance, it was surely the case that wealth and power of the instigator are more important than law. For those who did follow the law either was executed by Mordred's supporters or joined her side in the western territories of the Empire. But now, they have been pushed back to a capital city and not enough fortifications and troops to bounce back up. It was a losing cause for the Empress. The traitors have one at every turn with their vast numbers, leaving the Empress with as many soldiers as a peasant revolt.

Guinevere wasn't Empress, not until she was crowned in the Palace of Arthur, only an Empress-in-waiting; a term never used before, not until she was replaced. But, she was more of an Empress than the so-called Emperor who sits on her throne. Her brother, who usurped her rightful place with a carefully planned out coup that saw her supporters killed and her having to retreat to the last remaining supporters of her claim in the far west. It only begs the question of how he managed to rally so much support. Was the rumours that he was involved in the crime syndicates as a way to make money true? Most likely, Mordred never liked playing by the rules as every one of Guinevere's supporters know by now.

She stared down her hall and saw her Silver Hand bodyguards, looking at her. Each couldn't think up a plan of action with the way the war was going, especially since most of them were wiped out during the battle of Avalon. It was a shame too since most of them were Guinevere's childhood friends. It didn't help the Empress's mentality at all as they were supposed to be the ones to lead her armies against Mordred. Now, all that was left retreated into her city, ashamed to report their failure.

Vera, one of three princesses to the independent Kingdom of Wondar, stepped forward towards the throne and bowed. Her bright silver armour shined well underneath the ceiling glass, as was the intention from the start. "Empress Guinevere, the remainder of our feudal armies were spotted far west, locked in between the light elven tribe's lands and ours. It seems they aren't planning to make a move eastward against the armies of your brother."

Guinevere sighed and said, "I could use some good news right about now."

Lera, a blonde light elven knight, raised her hand enthusiastically, which wasn't the right flare in the current meeting, and said, "News has been heard of the Second Cavalry Army was wiped out. The same army that rode us down at Genova!"

Guinevere raised her palm, signalling her to calm down. "I believe you mean overwhelmed, Knight. Don't confuse duty and desperation."

The elf quickly quivered. "I-I-I yes . . . I meant overwhelmed. But it is said that the Grey Ones themselves, yes those Grey Ones, were the ones who did the deed. Now they managed to take down an army of such quantity, I would never know."

"The Grey Ones?" Guinevere said. She heard the term many times before, mostly by disgruntled nobles, of how an army of mages wearing grey have taken control of several castles outlying the Sapphire River and built a line of fortifications around the perimeter, most likely guarding the Gate from which they came from. Her scouts even reported seeing flying metallic monstrosities, faster than and dragon ever, roam the sky. An exaggeration most likely, but very real if they come from another world.