Chapter One: Change

Some people found comfort in graveyards. Even solace.

Van found this place neither comforting nor poetic. It was a place that screamed mortality and weakness. It screamed that someday Aira would be put in the ground just like every other human.

He growled low, resenting the way he felt about the situation. He resented his own emotions and the fragility of it all.

But here he was, standing over the graves of the people Aira had witnessed die all those years ago. No matter where he went in life, he often found himself back here, laying flowers down and saying a quick word. He didn't know why he came here. Van didn't understand what made him sink to his knees and want to ask forgiveness for not protecting them.

For not protecting her.

"Mister Volkov?" came a frail voice from behind. Van had already felt the man's presence before the graveyard underkeeper said a word.

Van never took his eyes away from the graves as he nodded. "You're taking good care of them," he said quietly.

The older man gave a half smile and tipped his cap. "I always do. Been keeping watch for thirteen years now, just like you asked."

Thirteen years. Had it been that long?

"I never asked, it's not my place, but are these... your family?" he asked cautiously. In all the years he had been employed to watch over these graves he had never asked questions, but Van knew he had most likely been curious why he came back so often.

A moment passed before Van responded, "No. I never knew them. I didn't care to know them."

They had been placed next to the graves of other family members. While the other graves had weeds piling over their tombstones, with dead flowers mounting, the graves of the Blight family remained in pristine condition. Aira had never been here to visit, but when she did, Van wanted her to see that they hadn't been forgotten. He had told himself the day he hired the keeper that this was an act of pity, but he knew it was more than that.

Van knelt and placed some assorted flowers over Vivian Blight's grave. Many years ago, Drake and Emma had stood here and made a promise to always care for Aira, to see her through good times and bad. He had stood off to the side; frustrated with the very human emotions they showed. Now he understood why they had made those silly promises.

She deserved the world and more.

The old man standing behind him looked as if he wanted to say something, but the words just wouldn't leave his lips. Van didn't like meekness.

"Spit it out and say what you have to say," he demanded, sighing as he got back to his feet.

The man paused for a moment, his face twisting as if he were in pain before he said, "The cheque you gave me this month, sir, I can't accept it. It's far too much."

Van shook his head. "It should cover the next two years."

His eyes widened. "But-"

"I won't be around for too much longer. My brother will take over payments once the two years pass." Van turned to look solemnly back at the graves. "I trust you'll keep this between us."

"I will, sir," the keeper replied, a hint of underlying sadness in his tone. "I will..."

The way the keeper looked at him, Van knew he was probably concerned by the gaunt look on his face and the way he struggled to get to his feet. Time didn't seem to catch up to him.

But he couldn't run from it anymore. Time was finally catching up.

Before the keeper turned to get back to business, he muttered, "I hope nothing's wrong, but if there is, you don't have to worry about these folks, sir. Pay or no pay, I'd keep looking after them."