But before he could completely leave Iruka to drown once more in his thoughts, he turned back around. "What's wrong? You don't look good. Need to talk about it? I wouldn't mind listening." He took the open space near the troubled teacher. His one discerning eyes could see that the man was having an internal conflict.

   "You're

"You're...Kakashi-san, right?"

The man nodded.

Iruka stared up ahead as the words that had been a hurricane in his mind flew out. "The thing is...I became that Naruto's... Uzumaki Naruto's teacher. Earlier I wanted to ask the Third Hokage if he could relieve me as his teacher, but he refused to see me."

Kakashi gave a neutral hum to indicate he was listening fully.

Iruka leaned on his knees, taking a deep breath. "That thing sealed in him...the Kyuubi is responsible for the death of my parents. Of course, I know Naruto is not to blame for what happened. But every time I see him I'm reminded of the past. How can Naruto open up to someone like me?"

"You're the only one capable of opening Naruto's heart," Kakashi replied, looking up to the bleeding sky. It was growing to a canvas of sunset's colors. He stood up. "Naruto being the holder of the Kyuubi, and the Third Hokage placing you as his teacher despite knowing what happened to your parents...that is your ordeal."

"Ordeal?"

"Yep. Handed to you by the Third Hokage. So try your best for a little longer. If you do, something is bound to happen. What if you try to live up to the Third's expectations? Well, see you around."

Iruka looked down at his hands. What Kakashi said just opened a new pandora box. If this was the ordeal that the Third Hokage was expecting him to overcome, how exactly was he supposed to go about it? The struggle between being a good teacher and looking past the beast sealed within his student was one he was losing.

****

   'What am I even doing here?' That next morning Iruka found himself standing at Naruto's door

'What am I even doing here?' That next morning Iruka found himself standing at Naruto's door. There was no answer no matter how many times he knocked or called the boy out. 'Is he sleeping that soundly?'