Chapter 11: Break My Heart

Chapter song: Break My Heart by Dua Lipa

---

After the sudden development of the case, Shu spent most of his time trying to recall the memories of the day, but it was hard. He imagined his mother's concentrated face as she added last-minute data to her research, his father joking around with him, picking snacks and browsing through the generous book collection in the airport. Yuu was there too, frowning at weird food combinations and picking souvenirs for his parents. It was so normal, it should've ended up in that normalcy if not for someone's need to tear the whole thing apart. But at the same time, Shu didn't have much time to think, as the weeks passed, the workload started to get worse, it was not strange to see people in the common room late at night, practicing a song or just simply working on their geometry homework or science assignments. Shu threw himself into the work, catching up with the extra classes they all had to take because the teachers were adamant about good grades.

He was finishing his final English assignment when Zac called. Honcho and Valt were trying to figure out some math problems due tomorrow while Wakiya — who was done with all his work — was mindlessly scrolling through his phone. Daigo and Ken were nowhere to be seen. "Hello, Zac."

"Shooting star! How are you?"

Zac has been calling him daily after the incident, he even received constant calls from his uncle and aunt, fussing over his safety, and worrying about his health. "I'm good, working on some assignments. What about you?"

There was a pause from the other side, "You can say I'm in quite the pinch."

Shu blinked, "What's wrong?"

Wakiya was staring at him, a confused look on his face, "Well," Zac said, "We have this music video shooting for an assignment next week. I'm kind of short on actors for it."

"And?"

"Oh c'mon sweetpea, help me out here." Shu cringed at the nickname.

"What's the role?"

"The female lead," Zac instantly answered, Shu flushed.

"No." He simply said and hung up.

"Did you just hang up on him?" Honcho asked, raising his brow. "Damn, Shu."

Shu waved his hand dismissively, focusing on his work when a second later, his phone started ringing again. Shu groaned, answering. "Zac, no. I will not do it. Leave me be."

"If it makes it any better, Wakiya is playing the male lead. He's your friend, right? See? It won't even be that awkward!"

Shu looked over to Wakiya who raised his brow in question. "You're playing as the male lead in Zac's music video?"

"Oh," Wakiya said as Valt and Honcho chorused their loud surprise from the background, "Well, he asked me. I wasn't going to say no." He shrugged, "He said he'd buy me a meal."

"Aren't you like filthy rich, Goldilocks?"

Wakiya waved him off, "A wise man once said never say no to free food."

"Please, Shu?" Zac was saying, "Since every senior is doing it, we don't have enough actors, that's why we're scouting from other schools. And before you ask, I asked Edna too, but she's mad at me for something and I heard she's helping out with seniors in your school, so."

Shu ran a hand through his hair, frustrated, wouldn't Wakiya be uncomfortable with having another guy for the female lead? Wouldn't it be too weird? "What's he asking?" Wakiya asked, "I thought they only needed two-" Then it dawned upon him, Shu watched his sapphire eyes widening in realization, and then his cheeks dusted pink. Cute, Shu thought. Then Wakiya observed him quietly and said, "I mean, you'd fit it."