|| C H A P T E R 38 ||

Start from the beginning

Tyler sighs, "I guess."

We walk out my room and down stairs and into the kitchen where my mom is covered in flour, "hey guys are y'all off somewhere?" She stops us as I'm grabbing the car keys.

"Yes, I need to grab a few more things for tomorrow."

She brushes her hair to the side with the back of her hand, "oh okay. Could you bring me back some vanilla?"

And just like that all thoughts of my father fall down the drain. She won't dare bring it up, because she doesn't want to upset me. It'll come up sooner or later.

"Yah sure."

"Where's Cali?" Tyler peaks his head around the corner and looks for her in the living room, "now to think about I didn't see her when I walked in."

Trace looked around for a minute as if hoping we would just leave without an answer, "oh she's with Patrick."

I shake my head, "unbelievable!"

"Grace I can't just keep her from her father."

I just shake my head and walk out the garage door. Angrily, I get inside the car. Not even thinking about it I got in the passengers seat and cross my arms.

"I guess I'm driving," Tyler hops in the car and takes the Keyes from me.

I don't say anything the whole car ride.

We end up at the mall. Of course it's packed. Everyone is last minute shopping like we are.

"Where do you want to go first?" Tyler asks and I shrug.

This is too much for my soul.

🛍🛍🎄🎄 🎁🎁

Three hours later we walk through the front door with about a billion bags.

"Sissy!" Cali runs over.

I hand her a few bags, "go put these in my room for me, please."

She nods her head grabs the bags and then starts to head up to my room. The bags are all placed on my bed.

As soon as Tyler's hands are free he picks up my sister and spins her around, "where have you been hiding?"

Cali giggles, "I was with my dad!" She giggles.

My face turns red and I walk downstairs, the vanilla Trace asked for in hand. However she's no longer in the kitchen. She is now all cleaned up and sitting on the couch, with none other than my father.

"Hello Grace." He greets me.

I simple ignore him, "here's the vanilla you asked for."

"Thank you honey. I appreciate it." She gives me a small smile.

"Daddy!" Cali and Tyler stand behind me, "this is Tyler! Boys are icky, but he's my favorite! Him and sissy take me out for ice cream!"

Tyler awkwardly stands behind Callie as she has him by the hand and drags him forward. I step out the way.

"Hello, I'm Grace and Cali's dad. You can call me Patrick," he gets up and offers Tyler his hand.

Tyler shakes his hand, "I'm Tyler, Grace's friend."

"Nice to meet you."

"Anyway, Tyler and I will upstairs wrapping presents," I butt in. Turning I begin walking away.

Tyler follows me up to my room, "that was intense." He comments when I shut my bed room door.

"I know, let's just get these presents wrapped and put underneath the tree."

It takes us an hour and a half to get everything wrapped. When we're done I yell for Cali and she runs in.

"Help us bring these downstairs," I tell her while picking up scraps of wrapping paper.

She nods and begins taking presents down stairs. Tyler follows after her doing the same while I stay and pick up the mess we made.

"What now?" Tyler asks after all the presents are downstairs under the tree.

"Let's watch a Christmas movie! Like Rudolph! And frosty the snowman!"

"MOVIE MARATHON!" Tyler pumps his fists up in the air.

The two run down stairs to the living and I follow after them. My sister is on her way to stealing my best, and only friend.

"What are y'all up to?" Patricks still here!

What the heck.

"Movie marathon! We're watching Rudolph first!" Cali answers his.

Tyler took a seat on the couch opposite of Patrick. The one facing the tv. Cali handed him the remote and he powered on the tv.

I go and sit next to him. I was comfortably leaning against his shoulder when Callie jumped on me.

"I want to sit next to Tyler!" She wedges herself in between us.

"Hey little bug, you don't want to sit next to me? I'm awful lonely over here." Patrick frowns.

Cali looks in between Tyler and him. Getting up she goes and sits with Patrick. I regained my comfortable position as Tyler put on Rudolph.

"I heard movie marathon and made some popcorn. I even drizzled chocolate and caramel on top," Trace walks out with two Bowles of popcorn.

Tyler takes one and Cali takes the other.

"Thank you Mrs. Everheart."

"Tyler how many times have I told you to call me Trace?"

"Force of habit sorry."

Our attention turns to the movie and for once it's peaceful.

Feedback?

Tyler and Grace?

Thoughts on Patrick?

Where do y'all think Grace's mom is?

Can anyone answer the questions Grace was asking at the beginning of the chapter?