“The government was pressured into making the laws because of the recent rebelling. In groups of three you need to investigate a particular riot in detail. You’ll be presenting the information in the next few week. You can use the books in the cupboard, but don’t even think of getting your phone out Troye Mellet!” Everyone focused on me, as I subtly put my phone back in my pocket. I gave her a meek smile. She ignored it.

Everyone caught eyes with their friends and pulled faces to assure the other they were going to together. Unfortunately, I had no close friends in that class. I waited for Ms Hart to notice and to put me in a group.

“Hey, Troye!” I looked up and saw Connor waving frantically for me to join him - and the devil that was Tyler. I looked around for another alternative. There wasn’t one.

I gathered all my stuff in my arms, and awkwardly made my way over. Tyler was speaking harshly to Connor until my shadow fell over him. He shut his mouth but didn't turn round.

“Is it alright if I work with you two?”

“Why of course you can work with us,” Tyler said, ripping his paper into small pieces. I sat in the seat opposite them. Conor beamed at me whilst Tyler avoided meeting my eyes.

This was going to go well.

Ms Hart came over and put her hand over her heart. “What’s going on here? A Fire and Water working together? What’s the world coming too! Connor, make sure they don’t try to kill each other.” Connor nodded. ”Right, you’ll be analysing the Vegas Massacre, from last May.” I saw Tyler’s eyes widen. “I advise that you look up political figures, events leading up to it, what actually happened, significant people that died, and-”

“Aren’t all people significant?” Tyler asked. I wondered if he lost someone in the massacre.

“I’m not having a social justice debate with you Tyler. Yes, everyone matters, but not for this.” She gave him a hard glare, before straightening her back and turning slightly so that she wasn’t looking at Tyler. “Right, where was I before I was so rudely interrupted? Ah yes, you also need to find out the repercussions of the event. I’ll give you a hint - every other riot happened because of it.” She dropped a textbook on to the table, far away from Tyler, and left. I gathered that when she got annoyed, she liked to put more emphasis on her words.

“I say we research one of the “insignificant” people that got killed,” Tyler said once Ms Hart had waltzed off.

Connor frowned. “She just said-”

“I agree.” I cut him off. Connor’s frown deepened. “She said not to, so we have to. That’s the way it works.” Tyler looked up at me then, his large eyes filled with confusion and a warmth I’d never seen before. 

“Fine,” Connor muttered, pulling the textbook over to him. “Do either of you know anything about it?”

“No, I don’t.” Tyler said. My eyes narrowed at his response. He was very still - too still. “My house was without wifi at the time. I think we were halfway through packing up the stuff when my aunt called to talk about it. Mom got worried. about, asking if gramps was anywhere near the rioters. He wasn’t, thank god. It didn’t seem like a big deal at the time though.”

Connor opened his mouth, as if to question Tyler. I jumped in then, leaving Tyler with his lies. He seemed to on edge to be questioned. “I was in Australia at the time, and it wasn’t reported much over there. They just said "typical Americans".” Both boys seemed disgruntled by that, and began singing the beginning of the national anthem under their breaths.

“In that case, I think we’ll need more books,” Connor stood up and walked the the cupboard. Tyler and I sat silently, staring at one another. My gaze flickered over to Connor, to find him on his tip toes desperately trying to reach something. I looked back at Tyler, who was still staring at me. His constant focus on me made me self-conscious. I wondered if I had nutella around my mouth or something.