Chapter Fifteen | Promises

*Trigger warning! This chapter depicts violence against women that may upset some readers.*

Eadric was sprawled horizontally across his bed, his head perched in the crook of his palm. He watched with intense eyes as Meryna entered the room. That familiar half-cocked grin appeared on his face as his eyes traveled slowly down the length of her. Her hands folded into tight fists as the urge to smack that smug grin off his face sizzled through her.

With a quick flick of his wrist in Ingrid's direction, Ingrid silently backed out of the room. Meryna was now alone. Panic rose in her stomach and clawed at her throat. She swallowed, despite her mouth's sudden lack of moisture. Meryna was determined to keep her head high, defying the emotions overwhelming her.

"Come closer." It was not a request.

She took cautious steps towards the front of the bed. Eadric outstretched his scarred hand to Meryna. For a moment she stared at the rough flesh offered to her. Instead of slipping her hand inside of his, she took a tentative step backward. A growl resonated from Eadric's chest. He lurched from his relaxed position on the bed to the floor. Before Meryna could react his hand was around her throat. With his immense strength, he squeezed tightly, as if he was wringing out a dirty rag. With his hulking fists seizing her throat, her airway was cut off.

"I once had a wild horse like you; majestic and spirited. No man who had possessed her could tame her. That is, until she was gifted to me. Your will is strong, but I think you will find that mine is stronger. I will enjoy breaking you in, fiery one..."

She clawed at his hand with her sharp nails, digging at his dirt-stained flesh. His face contorted with anger and concentration as he increased his suffocating grip on her slender neck. Her eyes grew big as blood rushed to her face. A light purple hue began to wash over her pale complexion. Meryna began to gag and gurgle as she fought to draw in a breath. Black spots began to cloud her vision.

"Eadric!"

His hand released Meryna immediately and she collapsed to the floor. She gasped for air, filling her burning lungs to the brim. Meryna's hands flew to her neck, where the lingering sensation of his foul touch still lingered. Eadric stepped around her and approached the door. With tears brimming in her eyes, she turned her head to discover who had saved her life.

"What do you want, Wife? I am occupied."

Gyda stood in the doorway, hand clutching the door handle. She eyed her husband with strength and poise as he approached her.

"We have an important visitor. I do not think you want to keep our guest waiting, Husband," She spoke calmly, though she felt anything but inside.

Eadric groaned. Then, he ran a hand down his face. Before he exited the room he turned and gave Meryna a glaring look.

"I'll deal with you later, firey one," He promised her.

Once the door was shut Gyda rushed to Meryna's side.

"Thank you," Meryna whispered hoarsely.

"Shh. Don't try to talk. Just breathe."

Meryna obeyed Gyda, and focused on slowing her erratic breath. With gentle hands, Gyda reached up to Meryna's throat to examine it. Like a necklace, black and blue spots circled the pale skin of her throat.

"Your throat will be badly bruised and you will be sore for a while. I will have a healer attend to you to give you something for the pain."

Gyda was the first one to stand. Then she reached a hand down to help Meryna onto her feet. She rose shakily. Gyda clung onto Meryna's arm, as they stood facing each other, aiding Meryna's balance. Their eyes locked onto each other for a lengthy moment.

"Do not worry, Meryna. I have known Rorik since I was a little girl. He will come for you. Until then I will watch over you. You have my word."

Gyda's words were a spark of hope in the darkness closing in around Meryna. Meryna was visibly shaken and numb inside. She could feel her strength dwindling. He will come for me, Meryna said internally. Rorik will come for me, she repeated. She held onto those words like they would save her from her bleak circumstances. They were all she had.