Chapter Six | Terror in the night

The bloodstained images infiltrated Meryna's dreams. She could hear the sounds of terror and metal inflicting death once more. She tossed violently in her bed, her plump lips muttering incoherently. Her dream shifted scenes bringing her within the familiar walls of her family's castle. Then the fair, slender face of her mother appeared before her.

Lady Aila's bloodred hair, pulled back into a thick braid that trailed her spine, was unusually unkempt; strands of grey collapsing around her face. Lady Aila wordlessly pulled back the elaborate tapestry that gave life to the grey stone wall it was mounted on, revealing a concealed door.

The sounds of the madness and fury consuming the lower parts of the castle grew louder, signaling that their time was running short. A blast of warm air struck their faces as the door was wrenched forward. Her mother gave her a brave smile and gently cupped her face. Then gave Meryna and her lady's maid Ane a single command. "Go."

The words echoed inside Meryna's mind. The sounds of the intruders' footsteps pounding up the stairs made her heart pound furiously along with them. She shook her head, refusing. She could not bear to leave her mother. What would happen to her alone, without father or brother to defend her?

"I'll be alright," She promised, but her eyes glistened with tears unshed. The barricaded doors to her parent's private chambers began to rattle. The clang of metal and the grunts and shouts of relentless warriors nipped at their ears like dogs on their heels.

"GO!"

Lady Aila forced Meryna from her paralyzed state, shoving her through the door along with Ane. Darkness greeted her and a clang echoed around her. Her mother had locked her in, with the Vikings moments away from tearing through the doors. Her heart wrenched in her chest. It pounded uncontrollably. Fear wrapped its fingers around her neck, making it hard for her to breathe.

Someone was calling her name. It was the voice of a man. Panick turned her veins to ice at the thought that somehow the Vikings had infiltrated the secret passageways built within the castle. The voice called out to her again, this time more firmly. In the pitch dark, she could not see any approaching danger. Suddenly, large calloused hands gripped her...

Her eyes opened wide, and she gasped for breath. She lurched, blindly in the dark, scratching at the brawny silhouette in front of her.

"Let go of me," She protested.

"Shhhh," Rorik soothed. "It was just a dream."

Rorik tightened his arms around her waist, pressing his warm skin against her. He laid her down, drawing her into him.

She punched at his brawny arms, which coaxed no reaction from him.

"Let go of me!"

He ignored her commands, tightening his hold of her instead. She could feel his breath on her skin. The scent of sweat and forest pine filled her nose. She squirmed, but her effort was waning.

"I won't let go of you until you calm down and breathe."

Then, she stopped struggling. The warmth flooding her was calming. She tried to catch her breath while telling herself that the only reason she was allowing him to hold her this way was that she was too exhausted to put up a fight.

"It wasn't just a dream," She whispered into the crisp early morning air as she stared at the thick patches of thatch layering that made up the ceiling.

"It was a memory."

Before all she could remember was waking up to find her servant and friend dead, but now a memory had resurfaced in a dream. Her mother had risked everything so that Meryna and Ane could escape through the secret tunnel. What happened after that was still a blur to Meryna and trying to dredge up the missing pieces made her head ache.

A few feet away from them a goat bleated loudly. This provided a much-needed distraction for Meryna. No one else stirred from their sleep, used to the noises of the animals that they kept inside their dwelling. If noises in the night didn't rustle the rest of the Norsemen she wondered then why Rorik would have heard her nightmare.

Rorik listened and observed her breathing until it settled into an even pace. He was satisfied that she was calm enough. He slid his arms from underneath her curved back, and quietly rose from her bed. With him there she had felt safe enough to fall back asleep, though she would never admit it to him or even herself.

When the savory warmth faded to a chill, Meryna's eyes reopened. She saw Rorik standing above her, his back to her. The first rays of the morning sun were just starting to filter through the crevices of the ceiling and walls. They made it easier for her to see him.

He grabbed his quiver next to his bed and slung his bow over his shoulder. Then, he made his way towards the doorway.

"Where are you going?"

He paused, his hands which gripped the door went still.

"Since I'm already awake I might as well start my day," He answered before the door abruptly closed concealing him from Meryna.