Chapter Twenty- Eight | Unlikely Friends

Princess Astrid was inconsolable. Events had not played out in the way she foresaw. She realized how foolish she had been to think if the obstacle to her affections was removed that Rorik would realize she was who he truly wanted. Now she was left alone in a kingdom that wasn't hers, surrounded by a family who did not want her as their own, engaged to a man who loved another woman. What did the redhead have that she didn't?

Crumpled behind a tree she let her tears flow freely. She was too proud to show weakness in front of anyone and had snuck away from the Jarl's longhouse into a secluded area of scattered thin trees. If she looked over her shoulder she could see the longhouse behind her, the smoke from the preparations for the evening meal billowing up into the blue sky. She was so preoccupied with the release of her own emotions that she did not hear the stealthy footsteps of an experienced hunter creeping up behind her in the tall grass.

Astrid winced at the touch of a cold silver blade pressed into her flesh. Her eyes widened and she looked up into icy blue eyes.

"With all the uncertainty and tensions between the kingdoms, it is unwise to be out here by yourself. Not to mention you are the easiest target known to man," said Eydis.

Astrid wiped at her eyes. "Are you making fun of me?" she asked in disbelief. No woman in Alfheim would have been so bold to risk offending her. Eydis stashed the weapon in her belt and cocked a gentle yet coy smirk.

"You'll never make it in Westfold if you don't grow tougher skin, Princess. Come on, let's get you back inside where it's warm."

Astrid shook her head. "I'll suffocate if I go back in there," she admitted. Eydis sympathized. The Jarl's family was welcoming when they approved of outsiders, but when they did not- they made that known. Since Eydis had divorced Vidar, they made it very clear that they did not approve of the separation, despite understanding her reasonings.

Right now, just like Astrid, Eydis was experiencing a coldness from the family that she had never known before. Once they had opened her in with loving arms and sat her in front of the hearth, now they looked at her from doorways and windows, or whilst walking down the street with pity in their eyes. Despite the glaring differences between Eydis and Astrid, they were weathering the same storm. Sometimes storms are easier to get through with company. Eydis exhaled a lengthy sigh, knowing she would most likely end up regretting this. Then, she offered her hand to the princess.

"If you'd like- you can take shelter with me. It isn't much, but it should suffice."

Astrid took a moment to ponder the offer, pursing her plump lips as she mused over it in her mouth. Astrid slipped her hand gently into Eydis's palm and pulled herself onto her feet. Astrid gave her a bright smile, the rosy color returning to her cheeks. The tears she had shed earlier were already beginning to dry.

"I honestly would have accepted an offer to sleep in your stables. Anything would be better than the Jarl's house."

Eydis snorted and shook her head. She shared the same sentiment.

"Come along, Princess," She called over her shoulder, as she led her from the cover of trees to her humble shelter at the edge of the village.