Chapter Twenty- Two | The New Jarl (Part 1)

Meryna awoke with a firm and lingering kiss pressed into the top of her head. She moaned lightly as she struggled to open her heavy eyelids. When her blue eyes finally parted she took in the room around her and remembered where she was... and what had happened the day before. Her eyes, which previously struggled to open now widened in horror at the realization of what she had done.

She jolted upright in a panic. The furs that had shielded her from the night cold slid down her voluptuously breasts. Rorik released an animalistic growl when he caught sight of her swollen, rosy buds. His meaty hand, which had held her firmly pressed against his hard body all night, tightened its grip on her waist. He dipped his head down, wanting to taste her again.

She whimpered in protest and scooted away from him, but he was stronger than her.

"You truly are a devil. You have turned me into a traitorous whore."

"Then you are my whore," he whispered, his breath hot against her skin. He left a trail of kisses starting at the nape of her neck which led down to her collar bone. A tear trailed down Meryna's cheek. It slid off of her chin and landed on Rorik's temple. When he felt the hot droplet hit his skin he paused and directed his gaze upward into her eyes. When he saw the contempt and pain etched across her face his hands retreated under the thick furs.

"Meryna," he spoke softly. "It was fate that brought me to your shores. Aslaug's vision confirmed what I already knew: Our fates are intertwined. You cannot run from me, even if you wish it. Nor can I run from you."

More tears spilled down her cheeks. She clutched the fur higher up, concealing her nakedness. Her mouth parted to form a response, but she was cut off by a loud banging. Startled they both tore their eyes from the intense hold they had of each other's and watched as Ida barged into the room.

"Come," She commanded with matronly authority.

"It is time."

Her eyes skimmed over Meryna, taking in the situation she blindly walked into. Rorik wordlessly stood from the bed and gathered the strewn clothes lying on the floor. He threw them on as he followed his mother out of the room. Before he closed the door behind him, he peered back at Meryna, who sat frozen in bed.

"The next time you see me I will be the new Jarl. I will make you my queen. I cannot give you back what I took from you, but I can give you all the riches and rights belonging to a queen. My men will fight to preserve you. You will be the most powerful woman in the realm."

When the door clanged shut Meryna winced at the finality of his words. She slowly gathered herself from the bed and tiptoed to the nearest window. She was still unfamiliar with the customs of her captors. She did not recognize the gathering of men, women, and children at the shores for what it was: a funeral for their beloved leader who had died protecting them. What she saw was an opportunity. This was her chance to escape.