Love and Other Drugs

In romantic love- our neurons and our hormones- our brains, our blood pressure, our stomachs, and hearts are in a state of upheaval but has anyone thought about love as a drug? A chemical cocktail waiting to be stirred?

Love is as powerful as morphine and any painkiller. It does similar things to your body.

They both give you euphoria, exhilaration, and elation. It gets you high, makes you feel good inside, and when it usage is done, you crash and burn leaving you wanting more.

The brain sees love as a reward, stimulating activity in the same areas that lights up when you seeks any reward. This drug does involve similar brain systems that is associated with addictions which are dopamine-related.

Dopamine is brain chemicals that transmit signals between neurons. It is at the heart of the brain reward system- helping us to feel good when enjoying pleasurable experiences.

Dopamine pathways are associated with addiction and the deep-level pain relief induced by morphine and other drugs. In other words, intense passionate love uses the same system in the brain that gets activated when a person is addicted to drugs. You start to crave the person you're in love with like a drug.

Most people wouldn't like to think of love like morphine but it does the same thing to the brain.