Chapter 07 | making wrong choices

Zacznij od początku

Did I feel relieved?

No!

That's because my moody husband lifted his eyes at that very instant, and captured my eyes in his deep blue ones; sucking out the air from my throat and flickering my breaths.

Letting my eyes wander to the white flower on his chest pocket, then to his sharp jawline, his well-defined stumble, and the beautiful black birthmark that accompanied his pink lips in that charming smile.

Goodness, my heart melted.

There, in front of me stood a Greek God, his beauty undefined, and his eyes, those beauties full of mischief.

Those seconds of lust were interrupted by a throat noise and my eyes raised to meet a smiling priest.

"Elizabeth Dixon, Did you come here of your own free will to bind yourself forever in the love and service of your husband?"

"Yes, father."

I gulped.

". . . That is what your yes means. You are no longer your own, you are off each other and for each other."

Time seemed to pass faster than I expected, the claps, and the cheers, stole the show and the calmness came back, settling in our miss.

"Dwain Horton, do you take Elizabeth Dixon here present to be your loving wife according to the right of our holy. . ."

My heart skipped a pattern and hammered on my chest as his lips pulled from each other.

Stealing a glance at my face, a blush crept to my cheeks.

"Yes."

Hands of applause accompanied his response.

Then came my turn. "Elizabeth Dixon. . ."

The golden ring he had slipped into my finger on my left hand signed my contract to no freedom.

How did I get wedded to a stranger on lover's day?

How was I supposed to get my independence back when an old lady married me to such a man?

What about my career?

This wasn't a good sign.

"You may now kiss the bride."

His hands lifted my veil and flunked it over my hair.

Taking me by surprise, he slanted my head to the side, letting his lips crash into mine.

Stealing the innocence of my virgin lips, his mouth captured my lower lip into his succulent ones.

Butterflies danced in my belly at the gorgeous effect and his cherry scent invaded my nostrils.

Gripping onto his neck, with my bouquet clutched in between my hands, my lips granted access to his warm tongue, which collided in all the wrong angles of my mouth.

The disgust of his tongue swimming in my mouth and our saliva exchange left me nauseated.

"ELIZABETH, YOUR MUM WILL be proud of you and Loren too."

Grandma pulled me into a hug, and she drew circles on my back with her fingers, but I didn't spare her a glance.

My attention flew to the guest at the reception.

"Please, don't do anything stupid. Take good care of yourself and your husband."

She placed a kiss on my head and tugged her hands off me.

She was striding out of me when my hand grabbed her gown.

"Isn't it early for you to leave?"

My stare buried hers into mine.

"The wedding is over, meaning the money for Loren's heart transplant is already transferred into my accounts."

Her glimmering deep red lips crawled into a smile

What a cold-hearted woman with multiple faces like that of a dice.

She only cared about the wedding and the money?

She was manipulative.

Maybe, she was part of the reason why Lisa didn't want this marriage.

This grandma stunk.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

I raised a worried brow at her.

Her hands yanked her gown from my angry grip and she caressed the silver chain at my neck.

"Loren's heart transplant is scheduled for the first hour tomorrow morning, so we ought to be in South Africa by this evening."

By the time she finished her statement, a hand trapped me in someone's chest and hugged me tightly.

The individual's sobs filled my presence.

"Lisa, thanks for helping me out. You did well my child. You are a blessing to us."

From his words, I knew it ought to be the famous Loren I sacrificed my freedom for.

He broke the hug and his watery eyes captured mine.

His grey hair and smile reminded me of the elderly man who accompanied me to the altar.

No doubt, that elderly man was indeed Loren.

"Honey, we have to hurry up, or we shall miss our flight," Grandma mumbled, holding Loren's hands in hers.

"Stay safe my child, and pray for my health. Be a good girl okay?"

His voice blurred out as he walked away with grandma.

"Sure."

Later in the evening, I searched for Anna amongst the crowd, but not even her ghost said, hi.

Where could she have gone to?

Strong hands gripped my wrist and pulled me out of my thoughts.