Chapter 17: It's Hard Being the Good Guy, Isn't it?

[Time Skip]

I typed away at my computer and began to get more invested in my work. This morning I began pouring through the communications data from the Beacon Communications Tower but found one data entry that was very odd. It was an outgoing message that contained no audio or text-based message, and it was sent to itself. So I dug into it and found a single image that continued to pop up. It was a chess piece. My theory is it's supposed to be checkmate. Just as I was trying to check it for anything useful it actually tried to infect my computers as well. Its attempt was rather short-lived however, my security systems made quick work of the attack.

Me: "It's a computer worm... It's trying to find security holes to spread. But... that's not right..."

A computer worm will use every means it can to travel, however, that's not what this is doing. It's self-confining to Beacon's systems and only focusing on attacking the systems in this area. A normal computer worm would at least try to hitch a ride on outgoing messages to the other towers. It's completely integrated into the tower, there's no removing it without completely destroying the current system it runs on. As I was working I heard the door to my lab open, however, I didn't stop working.

Aurora: "Hello (Y/N). Would you like to take a break?"

Me: "Not now Aurora."

I couldn't find where it was sending the data to. Not because of the complexity, I've tracked down much harder algorithms, but it's as if Beacon's systems have no form of security, plus there are no satellites in this world to hook into. Their systems can't defend against the worm because they don't have any defense to speak of... just how stupid are they?

Aurora: "You've been working since early this morning, perhaps you'd like something to drink?"

Me: "Not now. I have to figure out what the other side is planning to do with this. As soon as it spreads, it copies data then goes dormant... I can't find where the data is being sent... but I can see where the worm starts in each access point....it's in Beacon's systems from the tower all the way to the school... then it spread to that floating arena... but that can't be the end game... they could cripple communications and certain auxiliary systems... but that's not checkmate... wait..."

I pulled up one of the security feeds outside.

Me: "The Atlas ships, they run on a separate system... but if the worm piggybacks into the ship somehow it could spread... That's... slightly worse but not checkmate."

Aurora: "(Y/N)..."

I sighed.

Me: "Aurora, if you need something say so. I'm busy right now."

Aurora: "You should take a break. You have not slept in three days. If you get invested now you may not sleep for another week."

I sighed. I'm not really making progress right now. The only thing I can do right now is inform Ozpin and go from there.

Me: "I'll take a break later, right now I need to go speak with Ozpin. I'll sleep tonight once I finish a few more things."

I got up from my chair and changed the interior back to the usual dorm room.

Aurora: "Do you mind if I accompany you?"

I sighed.

Me: "That should be fine."

With Aurora in tow I made my way through the door and out of the dorm building. There were a lot of students out today, mainly due to the Vital festival the school holds each year. They hold a tournament for students of every academy and see which team will come out on top. I've been watching it in the background but nothing has really caught my interest in terms of skill, however it did give me some more information. We made our way to Ozpin's tower then began riding the elevator up.