Remember the past

It was a normal day in a small mountain town where the events transpired. Well, it was not a mountain town as we are used to the term being used, but it did have neighboring mountains and rivers.

Hot Springs, South Dakota, was just an average small town from the Midwestern United States. Nothing unusual happened in the town. People went to the local movie theater, women did their groceries, and some kids went to school.

There was one restaurant called "Allen's Ranch", in which a very special boy worked. It was prided with their exquisite steaks and great costumer service, although they took a long time to serve the food. However, with the courtesy of the waiters, the establishment stood open for years.

Being one of the few restaurants in the town, the staff became close. Allen Olson, the owner of the establishment, treated each and every one of his employees just like family members. From the young boy who had arrived in town a year ago, to the middle aged divorced woman who worked on the cash register, everyone was important in the little environment Allen's Ranch has become.

Allen Olson, being the good man he was, always seemed to seek for the good in his people. From matching them with future partners, to finding them some local apartment for rent, Mr. Olson always did his best to provide the employees with the best care available.

However, no matter how much he tried, there was one boy who he could not convince to continue a good path in life.

"You're a smart boy Oscar, try to go back to school. You shouldn't waste your future in a place like this" Allen Olson told the boy every day

"I'm not meant for school Mr. Olson. My future is serving steaks here" Oscar replied

"I've known you for over a year Oscar, I know who you are. I know you want to have a good future, but in order to have that, you must go to school."

"And then what? Study in a university and get a boring corporate job and see if my parents will finally look for me? If they didn't want me before, then they don't deserve me when I'm successful"

"But in order to be successful, you need to work your ass off. Enroll in school, get good grades, and make a name for yourself. I'll even pay for your books and materials, just please try and learn like a kid your age should" Mr. Olson pleaded

"I'm sorry Mr. Olson, but I don't want to go to school. I'll make a name for myself some other way, in any way I can. But thank you for the offer" Oscar grabbed his jacket and his keys, "Good night Mr. Olson"

"Good night Oscar. You can take tomorrow as a free day, you've worked too much today" Mr. Olson waved his hand

"Thanks Mr. Olson!"

Walking to his home, which stood easily five miles away from the restaurant, was a difficult task that Oscar had to overcome every day. At 11:30pm, and at the bad part of town, a fifteen year old should not be walking alone. But Oscar had no choice. He was living alone in a trailer he bought himself, needed a steady income for him to buy his basic necessities, and was a "high-school dropout" with no chance of going back in.

As always, when Oscar passed through the neighborhoods, he tried to make the least noice as possible, and try to pass through unseen by anyone. Not that he was in hiding from the law or anything, he just didn't know how people from that part of town might react to a boy walking alone.

Taking quick but calculated steps, Oscar made his way through the four miles in 45 minutes. It was late and the moon was not shinning bright, but nonetheless Oscar didn't get tired from walking such a distance. After a year or so doing the same thing, his body got used to the distance.