IV - Your Attention

Many people think Bill Denbrough has a crush on you.

When they notice you exist, that is.

Even now, staring into his puppy dog eyes and burning cheeks - you are almost convinced that he does.

But you know better.

Bill has an admiration for you.

You have lost.

It's no secret.

And you are lost.

Alone.

But by choice.

No one bothers you for the most part because you just do your own thing.

He and his friends, on the other hand, get beat up for doing their own thing.

You felt confident that your situation was the most ideal to be in.

Unfortunately you could not just extend your anti-bullying shield over him and his friends.

Especially now. That it had broken on yourself.

Because,

Henry Bowers doesn't like people feeling

comfortable in their own skin.

-

"Are you excited for Summer break?" Bill asked you warmly. Not a stutter, not a fidget.

You smiled wider. "I sure a-"

Your smile dropped mid-sentence.

Bill's forehead creased. "(Y-Y/N). A-Are you okay...?"

You didn't answer, too distracted by the fact that your non-friendly neighbourhood stalker had been watching you for who knows how long.

He leaned against a locker at the end of the hallway, just staring.

Patrick Hockstetter and Victor Criss appeared to be in conversation with him, but he only nodded at them every few seconds. People passed by, obstructing his view, and he simply repositioned himself each time with annoyance in order to continue to watch you and Bill.

His attention was solely focused on you two.

His blue eyes were cold, jaw clenched - but once he realized that you had noticed all of this, his face and posture relaxed a bit. He flashed you a smile, though it didn't reach his eyes.

There was something dangerous about it. Like you both had a shared communication. Like he was egging you on, daring you to make a wrong move.

You just didn't know what his big deal was. So you frowned at him and re-entered your conversation with Bill.

Poor Bill had turned to see what you were so intently observing and turned back to face you with fear gleaming in his eyes.

"I should probably go now." His words came out hushed, like a retreat themselves.

"Why?"

"Henry's been leaving me alone after what h-happened t-to G-G-Georgie. But I t-think he's done g-giving m-me a b-break."

"No. Stay here. He can't just bully us all into submission."

"Yeah ... he can."

You gripped Bill's arm tightly as he tried to rush away. Your eyes flickered to Henry who looked like you had just made that wrong move for which he was waiting for.

He whispered something to Pat and Vic which made them both slowly turn to look at you and Bill.

Bill started to shake at this.

You smiled reassuringly at Bill.

The attack was so quick that once you realized what was happening it was too late.

Henry Bowers striked again.

Bill was lying on the ground in pain, the Bowers Gang cornering you both against your lockers.

"(Y/N)", Henry drawed out each syllable, leaning into you, "What are you doing with this pre-schooler?"

Your face got red.

"I'd say whatever floats your boat, but ... don't you know that those around him disappear?" He continued.

Your fists curled.

You felt a hand gripping your waist. Hot breath on your neck.

"I was giving him a break ... but now I see he's just fine." He kicked him hard. Bill cried out. You heard murmurs in the hallway - a crowd watching.

You snapped.

One second you were uselessly watching Henry beat the crap out of poor Bill, the next you were sitting on his chest beating his face in. He couldn't even cry out from the surprise.

The crowd gasped, laughed, cheered.

It didn't last long.

Henry flipped you under him once the shock of you hitting him wore off.

A sick feeling of dejavu came over you.

Blood from the cuts you had formed on his face dripped into your gaping mouth like melted licorice.

He pinned your wrists, face an inch away from yours, caging your legs with his.

He did not hit you.

He sneered at you.

"You haven't changed."

His last words before he was pulled off of you by a teacher.

The nurse dragged you and Bill into the infirmary.

You could hear Eddie, Stan, and Richie's clamor by Bill's bed.

It traveled through your head in confused echoes.

Your bed had no visitors.

Just you.

All alone.

And the glare from Henry at the room's opposite end. Nose bleeding. Ice pack pressed against his head.

You smiled a bit, closing your eyes and letting everything fade away.