Chapter 4

Four days was not enough to prepare to welcome the visitation of King Francis. Today was the third day, and the porcelain was taken out and dusted, new drapes were added to curtains. I wanted to show Alendar in all its glory, but I wanted to keep it toned down. Yes, I want to be my best, but I have to humble as well. My ladies had a selection of dresses picked out. My prime role was to know that to say. If you haven’t already noticed I have a temper, but I know how to control it . . . okay I try to control it.

At of this moment, I was being escorted by my guards to the Crowns’ Catacombs, where the crown jewels, along with the Orb of Tantalus, are housed and protected. Guards are stationed in front of the heavily locked doors all day and all night. We were encompassed by darkness, with only torches lit along either side of cobblestone walls giving the necessary means of light to see our way. The guards at the doors saw my descend down the stairs, making sure that the doors were unlocked and opened by the time I arrived. Once I was in, my guards that came with me stood outside, for the royals could enter the Catacomb. Inside the room were jewels of unsurmountable worth, and lying on a cushion in glass case in the center of the room was the Orb. It was light, sky blue gem held by silver, with a cross resting on the top. The silver encasing the Orb was embedded with rubies and sapphires, and a large diamond in the center. But I was not here for the Orb. I now walked towards one of the glass cased against the wall of the room, which held the most beautiful tiaras and crowns own could lay their eyes on. When I first came here with my father at age sixteen for my coming of age ball. I was like a a thief in a dragon’s keep, in awe at all the riches before me. Even though I was a princess and knew what luxury was, I did not spend much of my time dressing up.

“This will be all yours one day, my love,” said my father as I walked around the room, trying to take in everything. Turning to him, I gave him a look. “Papa, just because Darien slept with someone’s wife and nearly killed the man does not mean that you have to disinherit him. His queen will have these at her leisure. But thank you for the thought.”

Father gave me a sigh before coming to stand next to me as I looked upon one tiara that was different from the others. It seemed to exert some kind of presence. Diamonds and only diamonds were the chosen jewel to adorn the headpiece. “He is unfit to be king,” Father said sadly, before taking my hand.

“You should be ascend the throne, as a queen, not a consort. More the less, you should ascend the Alendarian throne.”

I looked at him bewildered. He must have had too much to drink. This is nonsense! “Papa, you know I cannot ascend the throne as the actual ruler unless Darien dies without an heir or he is banished! Unless you can get the council to agree to change the laws, then there is no chance that I will be the Queen of Alendar. Now let us get back to why we are here, shall we?”

Opening the glass case, I carefully transferred the tiara into the cushioned case I had brought with me. I made sure the case was locked before I opened the door to find my guards waiting patiently for me. The door was once again shut behind me as we made our way back up to the palace.

     It wasn’t even a second after I handed the cased tiara to Lady Harper that I heard shouting outside the came from none other than Buckingham. “Get back here, you blasted bird!”

     Excusing myself quickly, I made my way to the where the shouting was coming from to find Buckingham and the bird handler, John, trying to get to one of our fire birds. More the less, my fire bird, Magnus. Magnus had a certain dark red streak that ran down his back which the other two hundred did not have. The two already noticed me, and I motioned for the handler to give me his glove. “How did he get out?”

     “One of the boys who was trying to feed him got scared and bye, bye birdy he went, majesty,” said John.

     I nodded before I outstretched my gloved right hand to the high ceiling that Magnus was circling. “Magnus!”

     He replied with a sound a hawk makes before swooping down with great speed towards us, landing perfectly onto my gloved hand. Carefully stroking his had with my finger, I turned to the two men behind me.

     “John, you may go, I’d like to have Magnus in my company for a while.”

     “Of course, ma’am,” he said, giving me a swift bow before departing.

     I gave a half smile. “This is the last time you call Magnus a ‘blasted bird,’ alright?”

     He just gave me a shrug, making me laugh. The two of them did not get along, end of story. Let’s just say that Buckingham had his pants set on fire and the rest is history.

     Buckingham gave me his arm, which I took, as we began to walk down the great hall. “How are the preparations going,” I asked.

     “Well. The chef has the ingredients ready for tomorrows meals, the musicians are here for the ball, and all the china has been taken out. You already have the schedule for tomorrow, right?”

     “Yes. I wake up, get dressed with my riding dress. We all leave the palace to meet Francis at Carpo, where he will be getting off his ship with some members of the royal family and other company. We go back to the palace, they settle down, I show him around, then the meeting will take place, then we get ready for the ball. Then we dance away and then eat. I got everything, right?”

     He gave me a look before nodding. He’s been putting up with me since my first steps, that old man. I’m forever grateful to have him by my side.

     “You love me,” I sang, giving him a sweet smile. He was the closest thing I had to a father since my actual father passed. He chided me for my wrong and guided me when I was lost. I lifted my right hand, letting Magnus fly off back to the keep.

     “That’s what you think – Ow!” He said, rubbing the spot on his forearm that I smacked. I gave him a sweet smile before we parted ways and I made my way back to my room. Closing the door behind me, I let out a sigh before flopping down onto my bed with my eyes to the ceiling. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.