Chapter 16

The ball lasted another hour, but the atmosphere was no longer loud. The fun was over. The portrait was unveiled. To be honest, I thought I was going to be happy with it. I was, but at the moment, I was not myself. My mind was in another place – war strategies were running through my head. I wanted to win, I wanted to put Darien in his place. I wanted to see him beg for mercy. But at the same time, I had to think about the fathers, brothers, sons, and husbands who will fall in the coming days. Alendar is one of the few kingdoms to actually be concerned about the army; the less blood split the better.

Letting out a sigh, I stood up from my seat. The herald saw my action and stomped the rod, bringing the dancing and the music to a stop. Everyone looked upon me as I gave a small smile. “I shall retire now. I bid you all goodnight and I advise that my admirals rest early. We have a long day tomorrow,” I said, gesturing with my arms out, earning cheers and raised glasses.

     As I grabbed some of my dress to lift the bottom from the ground, a gentle hand rested upon my shoulder. Looking up, I saw Francis taking his hand away and extend me his arm.

     “Let me escort you back to your chambers,” he said, “please.”

     “Fine,” was all that left my mouth as I took his arm and we descended down the platform, walking down the center of the floor, taking a left to a door that was hidden from the eyesight of the crowd. Now in the silence of the dimly lit hallway, we were free to talk.

     “He looks so much like him, Francis. I thought I was seeing a ghost. Do you think he showed up for a reason? Do you think he knows that Darien could possibly be his own flesh and blood? Oh, my head hurts just from thinking about all this! For the love of God, I can’t breathe,” I said in frustration, disconnecting our arms so that I could loosen my dress from behind. My breathing was fast, and my hands were not successful anytime soon to give me relief. Moving forward at the same time, I felt Francis gently pull me back, resting his hands on either side of my waist.

     “You need to calm down, please, before you faint,” he whispered, his breath cool against my ear. With a sigh, I nodded my head and he removed my hands to my sides before letting his work on the laces. My breath stilled at his touch, but before I knew it, he was done, and I could breathe again. I turned around slowly so that I could see him face to face. I didn’t kiss him. I didn’t ask him to hold me. All I did was reach for his hand and take it in mine. Giving it a gentle squeeze, I looked back up into his blue eyes with a sad smile.

     “Don’t give me that look,” he said, brushing his knuckles against my cheek.

     “What look?”

     “That look that you are expecting the worst from what will happen tomorrow and what follows.”

     A soft laugh left my lips as I shook my head.

     “That’s because it’s a thing we humans do. We think about the worst before the better. I don’t want to lose. No one wants to be the loser, but there can only be one victor. What will transpire in the coming days will be filled with blood and valor. But what will happen when our armies march back either in defeat or victory we do not know. I just hope, Francis, that this will not be the end of our association with each other,” was all I said as I pulled back from him so that we were distanced, but he pulled me back against him so that we were chest to chest. He tilted my chin up so that our eyes stared into the other’s.

     “Trust me, love, this will be far from the last we see each other, if not do anything together,” he said before molding his lips into mine. Unlike our first kiss, Francis started out slow, his lips soft against mine. Both my hands were tangled in his golden hair in no time and his arms had encased me further into him. We kissed each other in wild abandon, not giving a damn if anyone were to walk in on us. His tongue had entered my mouth, the action making me moan quietly, or at least what I thought was a moan. Francis responded with a groan as he continued to kiss me, backing me up against the closest wall. Ignoring the small bit of pain at the impact, Francis detached our lips to pay attention to my neck. Tilting my head I bit, I gave him more access to have his way. He moved his lips with care, trying to find that certain spot that I have overheard women of the court say made such interactions even better. My breathing was heavy, my hands still in his hair and his lips soon finding that special spot. Gasping at the contact, I felt Francis smile against my neck as he just kissed upon his victory.