Chapter 2

Torva was just across the Western Sea, a good four days by ship when the weather was tolerable. As a queen and a diplomat, I will say that the kingdom is diverse in its own ways. Its people are among the world's greatest merchants, though we have the best navigators to come by. Yet, their warfare was remarkable; efficient. Instead of usually starting with the cavalry, the front is lined with foot soldiers, the first line carrying spears and the rest armed with sword and gun. In the War, most of the fighting took place on Alendarian land, so we had a bit of an upper hand.

Now, I never knew James on a personal level, but I have heard from talk in the court and in my father's council. He was a force to be reckoned with, for though he was a just and wise king, on the battle field he was a different man. He knew what weapons to use, and where to strike, as if he knew of the enemy's weakness beforehand. A child's tale was told all over the lands of how his dark, nearly black, brown eyes, if stared into, could see the soul. Scared me to death when I was young, I'll confess, but now, I'd probably laugh at the notion.

Now I sat in my office, looking at the map of our known world that my father had painted onto the floor. It was midday, and the sun was shining through the windows to my right. Turning away from the world, I turned my gaze to the courtyard outside, and immediately rose to my feet as I saw a Torvan messenger ride through the gates, judging by his dark cape. When I opened the door to my office, my guards were startled but followed my lead as I opened Buckingham's door open to find him with a woman who was definitely not his wife.

"Your majesty! Forgive me, I -" He tried to say before I cut him off as I made my way back to the hall.

"A Torvan messenger has just road through the eastern gate. Meet me in the throne room!"

I grabbed the skirts of my dress as I ran down the corridor, passing by the portraits of kings of old, a chill running down my spine as I made eye contact for a second upon that of my father. He was adorned in his coronation robe, holding the royal scepter and the Orb of Tantalus. The orb was believed to have been given to the first Alagorian king, holding the mandate of heaven to rule. When I was coronated, I was the first woman to have ever held it.

As I passed by his portrait, his deep brown eyes seemed to watch me as I ran. I began to think of whether he was proud of me, wherever his soul may be at rest. Right now, at this moment, the safety of the Alagorian dynasty was in danger, so I hope that he knows that I am doing my duty.

Slowing down and catching my breath, I didn't notice that Buckingham had caught up with me, still trying to fasten his pants, and was at my right as I made my way to the throne room. Taking my seat upon the worn pedestal, the double doors opposite of me opened, and entered the Torvan messenger between two of my own men.

He made a bow and kept his eyes leveled so that they were not looking directly into mine.

"You may speak, sir," I said calmly, resting my hands on either arms of the throne.

"Queen Eleanor, I bring you some unfortunate news from my kingdom. We know that you have offered us an alliance to fight off your brother, an enemy of both Alendar and Torva. I will be blunt; King James, the Dragon, is dead as of a month ago."

"How - Why did I not receive word of this? Who has taken the throne?"

"Majesty, we did receive word," said Buckingham in a low voice, that I nearly didn't hear him. The king of our rival nation has died a damn month ago and no one cared to tell me, the queen, who is responsible for the protection and wellbeing of Alendar!

"So you knew," I said calmly, standing from my seat and walking halfway down the small flight of stairs that elevated me. "You knew that James was dead and didn't bother to tell me, your Queen?! I am your sovereign, and I am the protector and keeper of Alendar until I take my last breath! This is not some poor man who has died from hunger, though such a situation is unfortunate, this is a KING! More the less the KING of Torva, our rival kingdom and a former enemy! Think, Alendar could have been invaded by now and my head and yours would be on a stake or in some ditch! The women would have been defiled and children would be orphans! That is why you should have told me if James was dead instead of sleeping around with some whore who is most certainly not your good and loving wife!"

His eyes remained low to the floor, not having the guts to look me in the eye as if one look and he would be turned to stone.

"Now," I said,slowly turning my attention to the messenger who was in clear shock."Who is the new king of Torva? I don't believe I was given a name."

"King James's eldest and heir apparent, Prince Francis Chaillet. He is now twenty eight years old, your majesty, two years your senior, if I am correct," he paused, continuing after I gave him a nod. "He speaks seven different languages, is skilled in poetry, and is great with horses. Oh and don't forget to mention that hair -"

I rose my hand, cutting him off.

"I'm sure you didn't come all this way to brag about your new king. And besides, it sounds more like you are trying to tell me how suitable of a suitor he'd be instead of an ally," I proclaimed, getting a few chuckles from some of my advisors in the room.

"Tell your King Francois-"

"Francis."

"Do not correct me," I said, giving him a straight look. "Marriage is not of my concern at the moment nor will it be for a while. Tell him that I will make an alliance with a King, not a bachelor desperate to secure an heir. I can sweep away his pride as fast as a storm at sea wipes out an entire fleet of ships! When you come back, no, if you come back, I want him here, standing in front of me like a man. I am after all, just a woman. What is there to be afraid of?"

He was shaking by the time I finished before he gave me a curt bow, and was out of the throne room faster than you could say bastard.