Silence before storm

Start from the beginning

Were the words he thought and continued doing his work.

Only when the clock stuck 12 did a little bit of worry started surfacing.
He was staring at his phone debating if he should call her but his egoistic side refused him to do it.

.................................................

It was rare that emergencies came but when they did she never refused.

It was a foggy night and the dog owner's house was 50 miles away from her house.

She had reached on time and given the necessary medication but returning was a big task now.

It was a red warning for the city as a very severe storm was approaching.
The deadline was 8 but it was 10 already.
She was going to get caught in it and there was no escape.

It started raining cats and dogs and the wipers were not fast enough.
A speed of only 10 km/hr was not enough but she was moving was enough for her.

It was a deserted road ,a suburbs of the city exactly with a few small shops passing by every half an hour or so.

It was no doubt risky and dangerous , the severity of the winds and intensity of the storm made anxiety to settle in her chest.

It was 11 already and she was still 30 miles away from home.

Her only wish to be to reach home safely.

Few minutes later the road was deserted even more with not a single soul or vehicle.
It was a deadly night and it was just her and her car.

The phone was rendered useless when it had lost signal a few hours back.

It was not like she would call Ashton if she was even dying but still having a phone with battery and signal was itself a relief and support in such a situation.

The trees were swaying with such a force that she wanted to just rush through them but then without seeing anything from the windshield she couldn't just push the accelerator.

Her eyes were focused on the road trying not to commit any mistake which will cost her, her life.

The headlights were the only illusions on the gravel as street lights have gone out because of the storm.

After 30 minutes of her struggles, the radio had also lost signal making the sound of thunder roar in the sky.

That was it.

She had slammed on the breaks hard due to her astraphobia.
Till now the radio was keeping the sound of thunder out of her ears and mind but now when it had turned silent.

Her biggest fear had returned.

And that also at midnight.
on an empty dark street, inside a car alone.

She locked the car and slipped down to sit in the legrest.
Her hands-on her head and eyes closed in fear.

Her body shivered with fear as another lightning illuminated her surroundings.

1....2....3......4.. 5...6...7....8

On the count of 8, she had closed her ears tightly with her hands as a loud clap of thunder echoed inside the car.

She consoled herself.
Assured herself that it will be over soon.
Soon she will be back home.

But all her attempts failed as she felt something crash on the roof of her car loudly and the tiny pieces of broken glass rained over her.

She screamed with fear but to her bad luck, no one could hear her.

She felt like her body has crashed on something as a throbbing pain entered her skull.
Her fingers moved towards her head to see if there was a swelling or so but to her shock, her fingers were covered in the colour of blood.