Chapter 12

Chapter 12

            I head back to the kitchen and he follows me. “Have you eaten?”

            “No. I just got back into town this morning. I’ve been… helping Hopper with something for the past two weeks.” At that, my heart jumped a little. It meant that he hadn’t intentionally avoided coming to see me. “It took me three hours to find this place.”

            “Oh… Would you like the other steak?” I ask suddenly nodding towards the platter. He nods and I take down another plate and glass. Handing them to him, I find a fork and knife for him to use. I slide into my seat and start to cut into my steak, which was now turning cold.

            After we finish eating, we move to the den. I take the chair and Henry sits on the couch. “I guess I should tell you why I wanted to talk to you huh?” Spade chuckles and nods his head. “Well, the day I got shot, I noticed that everyone was acting strange towards me. Even you and Hopper, which hurt. I mean, I could understand why my parents and old team mates were acting like I was a freaking china doll, but I couldn’t wrap my head around why you and Hopper were acting like I wasn’t even running with y’all that morning.

            “I was so hurt that I couldn’t find it in me to finish the run. So, I turned around to head home when I got hit.” I stop here and look up at him. Henry was staring at me, his face blank. But I could see that his eyes were shining. “I could feel and hear everything that was going on in my hospital room. I could hear my family, friends, and I even heard Hopper once.

            “But I never heard your voice. After I woke up, I could have sworn that I saw you walking into my room, but it must have been a dream. The last week of my stay there, no one came.” I sigh and walk to the window giving him my back. “What is wrong with everyone? Just because a good friend that I married to for just a few hours, died doesn’t mean that I’m going to go off the deep end.” I mutter more to myself, but he heard.

            He lets out a frustrated sigh and I know that he was running his hands through his hair. “Ace…Ella, I…When Hopper told me about you and Luke, I was surprised and a little hurt.” He mutters something along the line of “I’m not one to share how I feel easy”, and it puzzled me. “Hopper called me after you and Luke got married. The reason I was hurt was because I had finally promised myself that I was going to tell you the truth: that I was falling in love with you.

            “But before he could tell me that Luke didn’t make it, his phone died. So, I was left thinking that the two of you would spend the rest of your lives together and I would be on the sidelines loving you. He tried to tell me about Tech passing away, but every time he brought the subject up, I would either leave or change it.

            “It wasn’t until the night you woke up after you were shot, that Hopper was finally able to tell me. And the beating I gave myself. I did come see you that night, but you were asleep due to the drugs the doctor gave you. I just sat beside your bed holding your hand. I would have stayed longer, but Hopper called me. One of our buddies was going through a tough spot, so I went to go help him out. That’s why I wasn’t in town for the past two weeks; and why I wasn’t able to come talk to you sooner.

            “When I got back into town, I stopped by your house first, but no one was home. Then I found your note when I got home, and here I am.” By the time he finished talking, I could feel his breath on the back of my neck. I couldn’t bring myself to turn around and face him. Mentally, I give myself a face palm. How did my life become so freaking complicated so fast?

            “I…I don’t know what to say Henry. I won’t lie and say that I don’t feel something for you, something more than being friends. But I haven’t figured it out. With everything that I’ve had to think about lately, I guess I just shoved it aside. That day when you acted as if I wasn’t even there, it hurt me bad. And when you didn’t come visit me, the hurt just grew bigger.”

            “I’m sorry Ella. I should have asked you about it instead of assuming things.”

            “Apology accepted.”

            “Good. Now, may I spend the night here? It’s a long drive back, and I hate driving in the dark.” Thinking about it for a second, I nod. He lets out a shout and rushes out of the cabin to his truck where he takes out a small bag. Showing him the second bedroom, I go back to the kitchen to clean up the dishes. I had just finished drying the last plate when I felt eyes on me. Looking up, I give Spade a small smile.

            He helped me put the dishes in their places. “Good night Ace.”

            “See you in the morning Spade.” He walks into his room and I grab a change of clothes before heading to the shower. I was hoping that tonight, I would sleep like a baby after the workout I gave myself.