Chapter 10

Chapter 10

            For a month, I stayed in that stinking hospital room. Everyone was worried that the person who shot me would come back and try to kill me again. Everyone that is except for me, Spark Plug, Powder and Flint. The doctor had just informed me that I would go. I must have set a record getting dressed after he left.

            I was sick of everything related to hospitals at this point, and I wanted nothing more than to feel clean, fresh air on my face. Slipping on my shoes, I heard the door open. Looking up, I see Jake standing in the doorway watching me.

            “So, a little bird told me that you needed a ride home.”

            “That little bird shouldn’t have told you. The last time I checked, I still had to perfect legs for walking.”

            “He was concerned about you walking when someone tried to kill you a month ago.”

            “And he could just as well kill me riding in a car as he could if I was walking.” Jake opens his mouth to reply, but then he closes it without saying a word. Taking my discharge papers from the nurse, I follow my brother to his police cruiser. He had the blank look on his face that he got when he was either mad at me or hiding something.

            I just slide into the front seat and slammed the door, making sure that I put my seatbelt on. We drove towards the house without a word. When he pulled into the gas station by the red light where Spade and I would meet, I get an idea. Waiting until Jake was in the store; I jump out of the car and start running towards Henry’s house.

            I thought that the two of us were friends, but the last time I saw him, he didn’t act that way. I wanted answers, at least from him. Reaching his house, I notice that his truck was gone. Walking to the door, I see a notepad nailed to the door facing. Taking the pen and a few pieces of paper, I leave him a note.

            Spade,

            I just got out of the hospital and decided to swing by to see you but you weren’t here. Did I do something wrong? You have to help me out here since I can’t remember doing anything out of the ordinary since Tech died. Listen, I’m not sure how long I’ll be staying in town. I feel like I need to get away for a while. So, if you get back and I’m not here, ask my brother about Thatcher’s Cabin. He’ll give you directions. Just don’t let anyone know where I’m going.

            I hope that you’re doing alright. Tell the guys I said hello would ya? They remind me of how me and my team used to be…I’ll know that you don’t want to be friends if you don’t come to see me in a fortnight.

            Ace

            I slip my note into the little box he had set up on the window sill and walked slowly down the sidewalk. When I get home, no one’s there. Which didn’t really surprise me that much. Packing my duffle bag, I leave a note on the fridge for my mom saying that I decided to get some fresh air for a while and that I’d be gone for a month if not longer.

             Hearing a car pull into the drive way, I look out the window to see my parents and the guys in dad’s truck. Dashing towards the back door, I sprint towards the woods. Though the gunshot wound was healed, it was still pretty tender. Taking the almost hidden trail that would lead me to an old road that hadn’t been used since forever, I quickly lose myself in my surroundings.

            I had left my phone at home knowing that Spark Plug could have easily used the GPS tracker in it to find me. I smile as I remembered the time that Tech had taught each of us how to find the other while using the GPS chip in our phones. S.P. had caught on rather quickly, but it took the rest of us almost three hours before we figured it out.

            I walked until the sun started to set. Reaching the entrance of a hidden cave, I look around and then slip through it, letting the covering of moss slide back into place. There were two way to get to the Thatcher cabin, but I used the way that most didn’t know about. The road that led to the front of the cabin was about a four mile detour out of town.

            I entered the back door of the cabin and closed it behind me, making sure it was locked. The cabin consisted of a kitchen thrown together with the dining room, a small den, two bedrooms and one bathroom. Taking in a deep breath, I place my bag in the first bedroom before deciding to make something to eat. Shaking my head, I realized that I hadn’t eaten since I left the hospital. And the walk had served to increase my appetite.

            After eating a sandwich, I take a hot shower and slip into bed. The silence was only broken by the sounds of nature. And in seconds I was asleep. For the first time since I came home, I slept without having a nightmare about a mission. And I was thankful.