Chapter11

Deva turned the page of her new found romance book. She was seriously thinking about tossing it against the wall to watch it break into million pieces of paper. The plot of the story was completely untrue and unrealistic it made her sick. Love stories were never as easy as they played them out to be. Still contemplating the idea of throwing it, Deva then heard the door of the study library open.

“What are you doing in here princess?”

Deva was getting used to Adamarius’ new nickname for her but something about it annoyed her. She didn’t think she would ever get used to being called princess let alone becoming queen one day.

“Nothing much, just filling my head with silly retarded unrealistic stories.”

Adamarius laughed and threw himself next to her on the couch. “Love stories?”

She nodded.

“You aren’t a big fan of romance?” He questioned.

“Not anymore.” She tried to whisper but he understood her meaning.

He wanted her to forget about everything especially Darius. He took her hand and pulled her up to stand. She resisted like he expected but dragged her along anyway.

“What are you doing?”

“Distracting you, like I promised.”

She could never distinguish what was going on in his head or what he had in store for her. She admired his determination to always make her feel better.

This was what she needed. Deva needed someone to look after her and take care of her even if she didn’t think she needed it.

She submitted and followed willfully as they discretely exited the castle unseen. Outside he led her down the stone path, through the maze and into the woods.

 “Marius…”

“I’m taking you to feed. No one has showed you how.”

They stopped in front of two conspicuous black trees. The trees were perfectly replicated and almost looked fake. Even the leaves were unnaturally black.

“Why are these trees so different from the rest?”

“Because they are linked to the portal that transports to the human world.”

Deva was awestruck. The whole time she wanted to go home in the beginning, it was like torture. She remembered her pleading to be taken home and now that she was looking at the portal she couldn’t believe how close home was.

“How did you know where to look?”

“It’s a royal thing. Our blood is linked to it because only a royal can use it. If you concentrate hard enough you can sense it.”

Deva only nodded while Adamarius tightened his grip. “Are you ready to walk through?”

“Where are we going?”

He forced her to move a step forward. “You’ll see.”

They entered into the portal and a huge gush of wind flow around them. Their surroundings were dark but Deva knew immediately when they reached their destination because the sound of cars and alley commotion filled her ears. 

The narrow brick alley ways were damp and crowded with random scattered trash. Adamarius led her towards the entrance of what looked like a bar. Deva dropped her jaw when she noticed the sign above the bar was written in Romanian.

“We’re in Romania.”

He smiled at her reaction. “Yes but this is more of an American styled part of town.”