Chapter 17

The funeral was the very next day. It was not often that a vampire King dies so the event was extremely enormous. The streets of the kingdom were crowded with people who respected him and sometimes feared him. Even the kings from the other regions came to give their respects to the lost King.

The ceremony was scheduled at night so all the townspeople held up candles as a path was made for the royal family to descend and make their way through the streets. The four brothers were the head of the line carrying the casket.

It was only a two mile walk to the grave site yet it felt like an eternity was weighing them down. The casket was placed inside a large stone chamber tomb, beautifully architected in marble.

The crowd then gathered around as a few kind words were spoken. A vague explanation was given about his untimely and practically impossible death. His betrayal and attempt at murdering the future queen had lead him to his grave. 

The crowd was silenced with shock and disbelief but no cruel words were whispered on Deva's part.

She hadn't spoken to Darius since the incident. She wasn't sure what to say or do. She knew he was in pain and he was doing a very good job covering it up.

Darius stood tall and emotionless as he listened to his mother fondle over loving memories.

Her hand subconsciously slipped out of Adamarius' grasp. Adamarius instantly stared down to see what was bothering her.

'He needs someone.' She whispered helplessly through her mind link.

Adamarius didn't need her to explain who she was talking about.

'He needs you' Adamarius whispered back.

She knew he'd understand and turned to walk the direction Darius was standing. Darius didn't look at her but she knew he felt her presence.  

She took his hand in hers and sighed in relief when he responded. He needed her and at the moment she really needed him. She needed to know he was going to be okay with what he had done.

After the ceremony Deva still wouldn't let him go. Adamarius didn't even try to stop her or come find her after the disbursing of the crowd.

The dreaded steps to his room was compressing some sort of pressure against her chest. Was walking into Darius' room alone a good idea? Every form of warning signs were flashing in front of her.

Inside the solace of his room Darius detached himself from her and walked over to his balcony window. With his jaw clinched he blankly stared out into the dark starry night.

"Darius?" He made no effort to answer. "Darius..."

He finally turned and his haunted eyes made her freeze in place.

Then the words just came out. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry Darius."

"No," he quickly held her face in between his hands. "Don't."

His weak whisper was like a taunting cut to her soul because she could feel the pain in his voice like it was her own.

"You should have..." He tried so hard to get the words out. "You should have picked the right son. You should have picked Lucian."

It was tearing at her soul to hear him; to have him confess she chose wrong. But in her heart she knew she didn't because Darius was a part of her that could never be replaced. 

"Then I wouldn't have..." He stopped and she knew what he was going to say.

"You wouldn't have killed your father." She closed her eyes. "It's my fault Dar and I'm so sorry."