Chapter Ten: Radio Static

Liam isn't letting me go outside, I'm panicking so much about Eve's safety. It's at sundown now, so hours after the run-in with those rabid dogs.

I hear stumbling and watch as Eve collapses to the floor panting. "Eve! Are you okay? We were so worried!" I ask her to try to help her up. "I-I'm fine" She coughs clearly out of breath. "Hey, Where's Junsu?" Olivia asks amongst the confusion.

We all turn to look back at Eve waiting for an answer, her face grows dark and she looks down. "Eve, where's Junsu?" Sophia questions his voice becoming sterner. The atmosphere has shifted rapidly, the tension in the air is suffocating.

"He-His leg, it got worse, we managed to stay clear of the dogs. I-I tried my best to help him walk and support him. We didn't know where to go, we stumbled into a small group of zombies. He couldn't - I couldn't help him. We were surrounded" Eve stutters.

A silence has been cast over everyone creating an eerie ambiance. "You left him to be eaten alive?" Seungmin asks, clenching his fists. "I couldn't do anything, I'm sorry" She sobs. "He suffered didn't he?" Liam asks while his body trembles.

Eve stands up and is embraced by Olivia and Sophia. I don't know what to do. It seems the group numbers are depleting and due to us, "He would've been alive if you four never stumbled into our lives." Liam says while staring blankly outside. "All you have to seem to bring is trouble, mostly Rina," Seungmin says laughing out a rough laugh.

What could I say to that? It was true, all I brought was trouble. That's all I've ever done, with my eating disorder, my protectiveness over Sammy, my sharp attitude - everything. "You're right" I reply, Liam and Seungmin turn to look at me.

"I am the cause of all that's happened to us. Maybe it's better if I leave you - I don't want to be the reason for someone else dying. If you want me to leave I will with Sammy and never come back" I say to them both.

"Yes. I want you to leave." Liam speaks up. "Look Liam we can't keep pushing-" Seungmin is cut off by Liam saying "The answer is yes, leave in the morning". "Okay".

Night...

I can't seem to find the strength to fall asleep, I'm so anxious to leave everyone tomorrow. I'm going to leave early before Sophia, Eve and Olivia wake up - I can't bring myself to say goodbye to them. It's for the best though - they won't be in as much danger following my absence.

I found a crossbody bag large enough to fit Sammy in comfortably, I decided to at least take him too - it would be unfair for everyone to be burdened by taking care of him, he is my cat anyway.

I somehow still feel hurt by Liam wanting me to leave, I know he deals with death very aggressively but still. I feel an aching feeling from leaving him and Seungmin. Do I love them? How can I love them both?

Morning...

I open the door and start walking. "Rina?" I hear Liam's voice making my eyes shoot open. "Liam?". His eyes look heavy and his skin looks paler, "Can I speak to you for a minute?" He asks, I nod and follow him to the storage room.

"I'm sorry for telling you to leave, I'm sorry for everything. It was never your fault, it never is." He sighs looking at the ground. "I understand, I know I'm a troublemaker. I know most of this is caused by me" I say my throat becoming tight.

"It's not your fault." His voice sounds strained as he stalks towards me. "But-" I'm cut off and my words become stuck in my throat from Liam's lips pressed softly against mine.

Liam pulls away and cups my face in his hands, "I can't let you go and leave us". "I'm fine," I reassure him with a smile. We walk out of the room and I notice Sophia is talking to Seungmin and Olivia is sitting alone as is Eve.