Chapter 14 ~ Good Morning (Or Not)

Episode: Season 15 - Last Call Pt. 1

All was silent in the Bunker as I made my way down the hallway, bare feet soundless on the tiled floor. Stopping briefly to check in on my kids with a small smile on my face as I saw their sleeping forms, I continued on to the kitchen. Seems as if I wasn't the only one who'd slept in though, I noticed, as my eyes landed on Sam standing by the island close to the stove. A yawn escaped my mouth as I nodded in greeting to him as he sidestepped to give me some space.

"Morning, Parker." he smiled, ever the morning person as always.

Blinking my eyes at him sleepily, I waved him off to which he only chuckled as I snatched the cereal box off the counter and poured some into a bowl before adding milk. I sighed. Man, it had been a long week. Dean and I had been avoiding each other again. I thought maybe that had changed since he saved me from the witches but apparently not. The whole thing was so complicated - it was hard being around him but at the same time, not being around him...that was an entirely different kind of hardship altogether.

I had just taken my first bite, the cool spoon against my tongue whilst milk and soggy cereal hit my taste buds when Sam just had to open his mouth.

"So...are you and Dean getting back together?" he asked innocently as he poured more milk into his own bowl.

I felt a Cheerio go down the wrong way and lost it from there, spluttering as I rounded on him, "Excuse me?"

Sam shrugged, "I mean, you two seemed a little closer when we got back so-"

"Oh, no, Sammy, that is not where this is heading!" I cut him off abruptly, waving my spoon at him as if were some sort of weapon, "See, Dean and I have this-this..."

I fell short, my mind blanking on the word as my tongue tried to grasp it, "Neutral...Patroculus...Patronus..."

"Platonic?" Sam supplied, arching an eyebrow.

I pointed my spoon at him, "That's the one!"

He rolled his hazel-brown eyes in response as I continued, "-thing going on right now, okay? No, no, that ship has sailed, Samuel - we're on a new ship now called the friendship,"

He nodded to all this, being the supportive friend he was before becoming quiet as I finished. I glanced up at him, one hand still holding onto my cereal bowl and smiled triumphantly, feeling as if I'd won this argument.

"And you believe that?"

A sigh escaped between my lips and my face fell, "I'm working on it..."

"Working on what?" a voice asked and I glanced up, smiling when I saw who it was.

Eileen wandered into the kitchen, albeit a bit hesitantly as she sent a small smile back. But it wasn't seeing her that shocked me but rather, the hand that she rested on the counter-top...that didn't sink through.

I gaped over at her in disbelief, "Wait, you're...you're corporeal now?! You're actually physically here?!! But how-?"

She smiled over at Sam which he returned with only a slight hint of scarlet on his cheeks as he replied, "Rowena's spell. I tried it last night and somehow-"

"-I'm here. Alive. For the first time in a long time - and it feels good." she admitted with a slight laugh.

A smile lit up my face, feeling happy for both of them as I watched her walk over to help Sam start making breakfast. He cared about her - it was so obvious as his eyes landed on her, smiling at the little things she said and did. It made my heart happy just knowing my best friend had finally found happiness, happiness he was so deserving of all these long years.

Minutes stretched on then as I helped them cook...okay, fine. I didn't really help them cook but I found moral support to be vital to any form of work, when you thought about it. From my perch on the island, I swung my legs back and forth as I picked apart a blueberry muffin with my fingers.

Sam scoffed good-naturedly at something Eileen said, "It's never enough food!"

I grinned at that just as a familiar voice interrupted us, "Hey."

My stomach dropped at the sound. Sam and Eileen greeted Dean with smiles as I proceeded to tear the muffin into smaller pieces, avoiding his eyes - those emerald eyes that always had been my undoing.

Time to face the music, I guess.