4.

A few weeks had passed and Hayley's only source of entertainment was Rebekah. A friendship has formed between these two, as Rebekah stated that them girls need to stick together. Elijah and Klaus have barely made any appearances at home, other than barging in during an intense argument which Rebekah takes the initiative to join in on. Klaus doesn't even glance at Hayley, and she doesn't know whether the distance is good or bad. So Hayley was awfully confused when she saw Klaus in the doorway of her bedroom.

She looks up at him with her drowsy hazel green eyes, blinking a few times as his lips part since he thought she was asleep. He thinks of an explanation, when the truth is he just wanted to see if she was safe. It's quite silly to think she'd be in danger in her room in the house that nobody knows of, but it'd always be a good thing to check in on her once in a while.

"Did you come in here to watch me sleep?" She teases, instead of giving him hard attitude.

"I, uh, no," He chuckles, dropping his head for a few seconds before raising it again and beginning to walk in, "I wanted to see how you are." He admits as Hayley starts to sit up, ruffling her hair.

"Well, I'm a resident in a household of three dangerous vampires, known as the Originals and am carrying the child of the one of the most powerful supernatural creatures in the world. How do you think I am?" She questions, arching an eyebrow.

"I think you're lucky," He smirks, trying to attempt at a joke and walks to the window to open the blinds. Hayley squints at the sudden exposure of sunlight but she grows used to it in seconds. "Not everyone gets protection from us, you know?"

"Right. And what happens to the protection after I have this child? I'm not going to let you take it-" He cuts her off by sighing deeply.

"You'll remain with us and help me raise it, whether it's a him or her. Is that what you want to hear, Hayley? Because I personally think that the child should have both a father and mother." Klaus stands at the edge of her bed and she sighs.

"Yeah, because the only care you have for me is as the mother of your child." Hayley murmurs, heart clenching a bit. Klaus stares at her baffled, is she expecting more from him? Her eyes widen realizing what she had just said. It wasn't supposed to be thinking aloud, she doesn't want him to know that she'd rather be cared for as a friend also.

"How would you like me to care for you as?" He asks gently, not breaking eye contact with her. She doesn't bring herself to say anything, just stares back into his softened bright blue orbs. After a minute or two, she breaks the silence along with their locked gaze.

"I should get out of bed, see what Elijah has planned for today." Hayley excuses herself, climbing out of her bed and rushing out before Klaus can say anything. He reaches out for her but returns his hand to his side when he realizes it's no use. Sighing, he follows her into the hallway where she's not to be found.

-

Hayley has been reading through Elijah's journal for a while now, wanting to know more of the family. Rebekah is confused as to how Hayley even makes it through one whole journal entry, but Hayley is intrigued. Especially when he mentions Klaus. She hears footsteps in the hallway, causing her to shut the dusty book and push it underneath the couch, covering it with a quilt. She clasps her hands together in her lap, sitting in front of the fireplace with her legs crossed. Only Rebekah knows about Hayley reading the journals, Elijah and Klaus don't know and she doesn't know what their reaction to it would be.

The quick footsteps get closer and she glances at the doorway, relieved when she sees Elijah. She doesn't really want to have a run-in with Klaus after this morning, but it's quite impossible to hope for that since they live together.