•1•

I fumbled with raising my mask and lowering the cap of my hat. I nervously cast my eyes everywhere around me as I briskly walked within the crowd.

Hybrids of all types were passing by. A few cast a second glance in my direction, but lost interest quickly.

I avoided any physical contact with anybody so I didn't start trouble. The bag of groceries in my tightened hand rustled loudly as it was jostled several times by the people brushing against it.

My senses were on high alert. Just in case of any danger.

After a couple minutes, I finally escaped the congestion of the crowd and entered a more open area of space. Letting out a breath behind the mask, I start to walk towards my home as I glance around at the different hybrids walking past. Many were simple animals such as dog breeds, cat breeds, birds, reptiles, etc.

You could say they were considered the middle class of the society. The lower level of society were normally insects and rodents. I always felt bad about their situation because it is not their fault for being the hybrids they were born to be.

The higher class were exotic and powerful animal hybrids. I've never seen any of these rare animals before. Unless you count on social media or the news.

If you haven't noticed, the type of animal hybrid you are will indicate your position in society. There were still regular animals that existed, but hybrids were a mix between both humans and animals.

Beautiful exotic animals were normally models or actors/actresses. Powerful predators held jobs of higher power, especially in the government. Domesticated animals were of average class and held up the majority of the working jobs.

Prey animals were categorized in between the middle and lower class. Although some were idolized in the entertainment industry for their beauty, many were victims to powerful animals.

I am a deer. A white-tailed deer with ebony fur as a result of mutation in my genes. I am apparently one of the rarest species of animals. There was once an abundance of deer, but many were victimized and taken for experiments centuries ago. I'm not going to go too deep into history, but there are many animals that are extinct or close to extinction today because of early studies and experiments that were conducted... and ended badly.

Now, many 'rare' species are susceptible to being kidnapped and hybrid trafficked.

I am very aware of this.

It's why I'm always wary of my surroundings. It's why I cover up my appearance. It's why I'm always so scared.

Currently, my life amounts to nothing much.

As an orphan, I don't know what feeling safe feels like. Yes, my grandmother had taken me in and sheltered me most of my life, but she always warned me of the outside world and how dangerous our status as deers are in society.

Until her sudden death when I was seventeen, I had never known much about independence or the world outside her house. It hurt a lot when she left. I didn't know what to do. She was all I knew. I was suddenly left to fend for myself with no guidance whatsoever.

Sure, social services had got me started on surviving on my own, but that was until I was eighteen and they said I was an adult. That I should care for myself. I learned a lot about the real world from them and I learned to manage myself completely, but now I am alone again.

❀♡❀

I neared the abandoned tree house I found a while back. 

I couldn't keep up with the rent at my apartment and wanted to save all the money I inherited from my grandmother for desperate measures. I barely had enough money for food with the dingy waitress job I currently work at. It's the best I could do because I knew the owner wouldn't expose me for my species. She dislikes me, but my grandmother was her friend and said that I must have a job in her cafe. I always tried my best because I feel bad for burdening her.

I always burden everyone.

It was a wonder when I found the tree house after wandering around for a while after getting kicked out of my apartment. I dragged my large luggage case that contained all of my items. It was definitely risky, but I didn't have a choice but to hold everything with me.

When I stumbled upon the tree house, it was completely an accident. It was dark and I was too exhausted from finding any place of shelter. I decided to trek through some leaves so I could nap in a secluded spot in the forest. Instead, I was surprised when I saw a row of thick wooden blocks climbing up a large tree. I could've missed it had I not stumbled on a rock near the area which turned me around.

Obviously curious, I scouted the area and found no sign of anyone there. After I got the courage to climb up, it became my house permanently. No one had come by in the time that I had stayed there, and still nobody has appeared.

The tree house was actually pretty big and clearly very old. It had a one room 'house' and a wide porch surrounding all four sides. The tree had easily grown all around it and intermingled it's growth around the tree house's architecture. There was a rail surrounding the edges of the porch except the area with the ladders climbing up. The inside of the house was empty and shabby. There were a few splinters peeking out from the tree growth, but overall the foundation held steady. There wasn't a door, so it was a rectangular opening to enter. There were two windows, one next to the door and one across from it. 

Only a very old piece of paper was left at the center of the room.

When I unrolled it, it revealed a small note that read:

For our mate, whoever you may be. 

❀♡❀

A/N: Well well. Is this a new book from me? *le gasp*

I hope you guys are interested in this story 😅