There was that grin again, Grillbys mysterious, shit-eating smirk, telling her that he knew something that she didn’t.

A familiar sensation spread from her fingertips down to her palm, momentarily distracting the girl.

'Holy shit, stop that! I'm not thaaaat angry!'

Maya took a few seconds to calm down, but when she looked back up again, Grillby was still just looking at her.

“What? Don’t just look at me like that.”

It started slowly, but after a few more seconds the tickling turned into itching.
Grillby still said nothing, his gaze never leaving hers, his smirk never faltering.

“Come on Grillby!” She looked at him with a raised eyebrow, trying her hardest to ignore the itching, all the time trying to get herself to calm down, gulping down the sick feeling in her stomach.

Only when it became unbearable and Maya went to scratch her hand, did Grillby move.
In the blink of an eye, he was sitting next to her chest, holding her right hand firmly but gently in his grip.

“Don’t.” His voice barely above a whisper. “You’ll hurt yourself.”

'What the hell?! I'm about to fucking hit you, you idiot.'

Then a thought crossed her head and she narrowed her eyes at the fire elemental.

"Grillby, am I on fire?"

“Don’t be afraid. It reacts to emotions.” a chuckle escaped his lips and he nodded towards her hand. “Look.”

Maya did as he told and slowly turned her head to look at her left hand.

When she did, she felt her breath caught in her throat.

Her hand was on fire.

Grillby had somehow made flames appear in her open palm, just like he did the day before.

‘Oukay then. That’s apparently normal now.’

She could do nothing but sit and watch in amazement, her eyes and mouth open wide, the itching now nothing more than a weird feeling, being angry at him totally forgotten.

Fiery sparks were flying around the length of her forearm, the warmth that came along with them felt welcoming to her.

The flames snarled and cracked, fire licked at her skin like a hungry kitten would at a saucer of milk, playful, curious to see how far it could go.

Again, May could feel the effect of his fire on her soul, but she refused to be pulled back in like last time.

When Grillby spoke though, his voice still sounded far away, as if he was talking to her through a cloud.

“You don’t need to worry about your safety. I promise that you’re safe as long as you’re staying here.”

“How.. Why doesn’t it hurt?”, she whispered, curious and confused.

Maya could sense Grillbys cockiness before he even opened his mouth.

“Because I can control myself. That being said,” He let the flames disappear with a motion of his hand. “They could kill you in an instant if I wanted them to. I meant it when I said that there is nothing you need to worry about. It may sound pretentious, but there are no more than a handful of monsters who can match my strength.”

Her mouth was still opened wide, but she slowly came back to reality and nodded.

“How do you do that though? It's like, my soul feels weird when you do it.. It kinda hard to explain, but it's kinda like a pull? I guess? I dunno I-”