The Second Skeleton

“Can you take me to meet them one day?”

Maya looked down at Frisk who was writing about her adventures in the Underground, from talking fishes, anime-loving lizards and her mom, that lived in the ruins.

Maya refused to think about the possibility that her and Flowey had run from said mom back when they entered the forest.

The other girl nodded eagerly and started scribbling again.

*But I have to ask mom first. She doesn’t like it when I bring people without asking, since I don’t see her that much.*

The confusion must have been pretty visible on her face, because Frisk started writing down another message, way slower this time, as if she couldn’t find the right words for once.

*I live with Sans and Papyrus. Sans is stronger than mom. And Flowey wants to take my soul, so Sans keeps me here to protect me.*

‘Flowey what?’

“hey, that’s not true, kid. I like to have ya around, not just to protect ya.”

Maya was vaguely aware of Frisk turning around and signing something to the skeleton.

“yeah but c’mon, you know it’s for the best. and you love it here.”

Again, the girl started signing, this time a bit slower.

“see! i knew it. anyway, tibia honest, we should probably go. paps's gonna be home soon and he'd get all hot if he finds out i brought ya with me to eat 'the greasy stuff'."

"Excuse me?"

"aw, sorry grillbz. ya know i don't think so."

A few minutes later, they all said their goodbyes and Maya was still sitting on her stool, not moving a muscle, not knowing what to say.

She had the feeling that she should have known that already, but ignored the fact that they already told her about Floweys motives yesterday.

Flowey tried to take Frisks soul.

The soul of a child.

He knew it would kill her, he told Maya everything about souls, after all.

Why would he try to kill a little girl?

Had Sans been telling the truth?

Was Flowey really dangerous?

Mayas gaze wandered over to Grillby, who was still polishing the glasses and the counter.

"Hey Grillby, what do you think I should do?"

The fire elemental sighed, as if he had been waiting for her to ask.

He looked slightly uncomfortable too and Maya realized way too late why he'd kept silent most of the talk.

"I can't tell you what to do, Maya." He put the rug away and leaned over the counter, closer to her.

"From what I know it's true that the flower tried to take Frisks soul. There had also been a few fights between Sans, Frisk and him. But -", and the word was accompanied by a risen fiery finger, "But I think that everybody deserves a second chance. You clearly like him and from what you told me, I'd say he likes you too."

That actually made Maya feel better and she smiled at Grillby, silently thanking him.

He nodded, his own grin growing. "Probably at least. Or he just keeps you around for his amusement."

"You know you could've just stopped talking after the liking part, right?"
Maya looked at him with a raised eyebrow, smile now gone.

"I had to pay you back for those puns earlier."