The Turning Point

Start from the beginning

"Unless you still have some feelings for Matt, then yeah, it's weird." I teased her. "No, of course not." She denied but didn't take her eyes off them.

"Well, she needs someone nice like him, as opposed to a homicidal vampire like Damon." Bonnie said cynically about Damon who tried to kill her the other night. She's still shaken by it and totally hates him.

"Yeah, how are you doing with all that?" Elena asked concerned.

"I'm freaked out, Elena. Damon tried to kill but I was lucky to have Laura take the fall for me but I'm still freaked out." She looked at me still scared. "If you hadn't stepped in to save me I would have been dead by now."

"Well, thankfully I did, because you're my best friend, Bonnie." I rubbed her elbow and she gave a little smile. "I'm just glad that Stefan is not like Damon." She said.

Hearing Stefan's name Elena's mood fell flat and walked away. Bonnie looked at me confused and I gave her the look that said it's not good. "Have you seen him?" She walked up to my sister.

"Not since he told me he was leaving. For all I know, he's already gone." Elena looking pissed as she threw her scarf into her locker.

"He wouldn't leave without saying goodbye, Elena." I told her.

She turned to me with a look that said otherwise. "Yes, he would. He thinks he's protecting me. Clean break and all that." She said getting her books out for the first period.

"So, what are you going to do?" Bonnie asked.

"What am I supposed to do?" She said helplessly. "I've already begged him not to go. If I ask again, I'm being selfish. It is what it is." She said bitterly.

Bonnie and I exchange a look to each other feeling sorry for her and walked with her to our class. "Maybe it's for the best." Bonnie said and we stopped to look at her.

"What? Why?" Elena exclaimed. "I mean what kind of future could you have had with him, even if he stayed?" Bonnie said honestly. I could understand where she was hinting at; Stefan's a vampire and Elena's human, what future could they have unless Elena becomes a vampire to solve the problem.

But I don't think she will choose to become one.

Suddenly a banner fell in front of us and Elena furrow her brow at it. "Did you just... ?" Elena stared at Bonnie asking if she was using her magic.

"No, I swear." She declined.

Elena sighed in annoyance and flicked the banner out of her way and stormed off to class, leaving us to watch her leave. "So dramatic." I muttered under my breath.

"You don't think I said anything wrong, do you?" Bonnie asked scared she may have offended Elena because of what she said.

I looked at Bonnie and was about to tell her she no but... she's right.

What kind of future could there be? If I asked Damon to stay what could happen between us? He's not exactly a good person, and all he cares about is Katherine.

"... No. You're absolutely right. What future is there...?" I said quietly to myself thinking about Damon.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

School was finally over and I was walking out of the building with my geography friends when I saw Stefan sitting at the table outside. I said goodbye to my friends and walked up to him. "Stefan."

He looked up and smiled at me. "Hey, I thought you were gone by now." I said being surprised by happy to see him still here. "Are you here to say goodbye to Elena?" I asked.